Chapter Twenty-Nine

My days have been busier than usual. So busy that I haven't gotten to spend any time with Lucian after school. I even had to cancel plans with Clara. If I wasn't in school, dad usually had me in the forest, teaching me about all sorts of things. And when mom got jealous, she would pick me up from school and bring me along with her. Honestly, I feel like a ping pong ball.

I was learning how to be a werewolf while trying to remain a daughter, but my parents were being overbearing. They were literally fighting for my attention. 

"You're spacing out? Come on, Amelia, what do you want to eat?" My mom's voice had me looking in her direction.

We were at a restaurant, sitting in the spacious outdoor area. This was one of the days mom had decided I needed a break from my studies, both school and Dad's lessons. Unknown to her however, I had my own plans set in motions. If things worked out nicely, things could hopefully return to some normalcy. 

"I'm still deciding," I said as I picked up the menu that was left. 

Glancing up, I looked around as best I could without drawing mom's attention. He wasn't here yet. 

"The peach cake looks good." She smiled happily. 

I just hoped that happiness remained. Oh here he comes!

"Amelia, sorry I'm late," Dad said as he approached our table. When he noticed Mom, he didn't seem surprised. Guess he caught her scent a long way off. 

Mom looked up at him. Her eyes narrowed into a glare. "What are you doing here?" 

"Amelia, what are you up to?" He looked at me, a questioning look in his eyes. 

"Have a seat," I pulled the chair beside me back some. "I need to talk to you both without the two of you arguing."

Mom continued to glare at Dad, who moved to take the seat beside me, before abruptly she averted her gaze. 

Figures. She is ready to stab him and he is ready to run for the hills. Releasing a sigh, I crossed my arms and placed them on the tabletop. "You two are using me to get back at each other and I'm exhausted from it."

"We're not using you." Mom turned her penetrating gaze on me. 

Arching an eyebrow, I looked between the two."You're using me to stab daggers at Dad. And Dad, you're using me to see Mom."

"I'm not using you to see your mother." He ran a hand through his hair before peeking over at mom. "I can see her anytime."

"Oh really? So you bringing me home, walking me inside the house is all innocent."

"I needed to make sure you got in safely," he said in a voice that wasn't too convincing. 

"I knew it!" Mom glared once more in his direction.

"Mom, you picking me up after school for these little getaways is wrong too."

She looked back at me as if I was the one in the wrong. "Is it a crime to want to spend time with my child?" 

"It's not, but you guilt me into them only to get under Dad's skin." I look between them. "I asked you both here so you two can talk it out."

"I have nothing to say to him. Besides this is between me and him" She crossed her arms and sat back in her chair.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. Mom can be stubborn. It was why I had her brought us here in the first place. I guessed Dad wouldn't turn around at the sight of her, which made this whole trap a little easy. 

"You both brought me into it, Mom." Reaching over, I placed my hand on her arm. "Come on, just hear him out."

"I'm up for talking," He said as he placed his arms on the table, leaning forward with eyes on Mom.