Chapter Seven

I can't believe I'm going to Jack's welcome back party on Saturday. 

"And Clara, she's really going to make me go nuts."

I couldn't believe she told Dean I was single. 

"And Dean asked me out!"

What is this world coming too? 

Out the corner of my eye, I saw something moved. It's shape was in the form of a person. It ran out in front of me causing me to stomp on my brakes. I closed my eyes in time to not see the person I was going to hit.  

When my car finally came to an abrupt stop, I was jerked forward. Thanks to my seat belt, I didn't hit my face on the steering wheel. 

When I did look up, I saw him. He was a man of average height. His hair was short and ruffled as if he had just woken up from sleep. His clothes consisted of a pair of blue jeans and a blue shirt that was torn at the seams. 

Blood was smeared around his neck as if he had been in some type of accident. Yet, he seemed unaffected by his wounds. But that wasn't what had me shaking in my shoes.

When he turned his gaze toward me, I saw them. His cold, red eyes. They looked at me as if I was the most hated thing on earth. Swallowing, I stared back, transfixed in a trance.

He turned his body toward me. Blood covered his front, yet he still didn't show any signs of pain. What had happened to him? 

I reached over, not taking my eyes from his, and grabbed for my phone. Surely this man needed emergency help and the police. I wasn't going to get out, but the least I could do is call for help.

He marched toward my car taking long steps. Then he raised his right arm, bringing it down onto the hood of my car. Phone forgotten, I jumped in my seat. 

He smiled a wide toothy grin. It was enough that his grin scared me, but he had sharp fangs. Fangs that were unnatural for a normal human being. 

I had to get away.

That was my first instinct. My immediate thoughts as he slammed his hand on my hood once more. Fumbling with turning my keys to back up, I stared in quiet panic as he began to climb onto my car. 

A deep growl came from the pits of his throat as he climbed on top of the hood. Looking down, I turned the ignition. At the same time, another growl had me looking back up in time to see a large wolf tackling the unhuman man to the ground.  

It all happened so fast. The man was on top of my car, and then he was being knocked to the ground by this wolf. A very large wolf if I might add. 

This wolf had golden brown fur. It snarled and growled at the man, who had gotten to his feet. They circled each other. Then the wolf leaped at the man. He dodged and landed a kick on the wolf. The wolf didn't seem affected by the kick because he turned on his feet and leaped once more at the man. This time, the wolf got a hold of the man's head in it's strong jaws. 

The man squirmed and tried to pull his head from the wolf's mouth. Using his claws, he scratched at the wolf. He only seemed to cut through the first layer of skin on the wolf. I could see that the wolf’s wounds were closing up faster than possible. 

This isn’t a normal wolf.

All too soon, the wolf closed its mouth, efficiently biting off the man’s head. The body of the man went limp before falling to the ground. I watched in horror as the wolf dropped the head. When it turned it’s gaze on me, I noticed the wolf's yellow eyes. They seemed to stare right at me. 

Something inside me told me the wolf wouldn’t hurt me, but I was nowhere near ready to get out of that car. Finally, I got a hold of myself. Fumbling, I managed to still my shaking hands enough so that I could hold onto the steering wheel. Putting the car in gear, I sped off. I casted a look in my mirror. My eyes widened as I saw the wolf was now standing in the middle of the road, watching me drive away. 

Twenty minutes later, I arrived home. Pulling into the driveway of my neighbor’s, I turned off the car. Sitting there with my hands on the wheel, my mind flashed back to what had happened moments ago. A wolf just attacked a man, who was probably going to kill me. Should I report it? Placing a hand over my heart, my mind flashed an image of the golden wolf with yellow eyes. He had a familiarity about him, but I brushed it aside as being grateful and a heat of the moment thing. 

Climbing out of my car, I looked at my driveway to see that mother’s car was parked there. “Mom’s home. I should tell her what I saw, but I’m not entirely sure what I saw.” Closing my car door, I walked up to and entered the house. 

“Mom?” I called, closing the door behind me.

“I’m in the kitchen, Milly,” she yelled back. 

Walking in that direction I think about what I was going to say to her. She was cooking what smelled like tacos. What a great comfort food to go with my near death experience. 

I came to the counter on her left and pulled myself onto its surface top. “Mom?”

“Hmm?” She went on cooking the different meats for the tacos.

“I saw something weird today...just a few minutes ago.”

“Let me guess,” she looked up at me with a smile. “You saw a venomous snake? Or a raccoon? I know how much you like spotting out animals.”

Sighing, I threw my head back. “I’m almost eighteen. I don’t do that any more.” 

She laughed at my outburst, but went on to move toward the refrigerator. “Well? You’re going to keep me in suspense?”

“I-” I looked down at my lap. I couldn’t tell her the truth. No, she would be overly worried and I don’t want that. “I just saw the most beautiful wolf on my way home today.” 

She looked over her shoulder at me smiling.

Blushing, I tried to cover up my embarrassment. “I mean it was so unnatural. It was yellow. I have never seen a yellow wolf before. Mom have you-”

Looking up, I found my mom just standing there with the fridge door open. 

“Mom, you ok?” 

She seemed to break from her trance. Smiling at me, she grabbed what she needed from the fridge and closed the door. “I’m fine, Milly. Just got lost in my thoughts for a second. But that’s great!”

Ok Mom was being a little weird. But it was nothing out of the ordinary. Not really. What’s more important was: Did I see a wolf actually kill someone? Maybe I should wait until the news tonight. Just to be sure.