Chapter Fifteen

I'm an idiot. 

What was I thinking revealing myself in broad daylight like that? Especially to a cocky kid that was so entitled he could do well with being knocked down a few pings. I know better though. The kid was egging me on. Trying to push my buttons. 

Miller knew about Amelia. What's more, that kid said they were paired to marry. What more could go wrong? Oh that's right, Amelia just saw me in the rise of my beast. 

Why the bloody hell didn't I smell her approach?

Too busy being annoyed by Miller's spawn, most likely. 

This was a mess. 

Edward needed to know Miller was aware that Amelia was a werewolf. And what did his kid mean by Amelia being Night Walkers? She couldn't be one of them because she obviously had no ties to them. Not even knowledge that she was a werewolf. What did this mean? I needed to discuss this with my brothers. 

Reaching my car, I quickly slid behind the wheel. As I was starting the car, the passenger's door was pulled open and Amelia slid into the seat. 

"What are you doing? Get out now." I half shouted. She had to suspect that I was some type of monster. The natural human reaction to seeing the unbelievable was to run in the opposite direction not toward it. Yet, Amelia wasn't really human. Her wolfie instincts were kicking in or had kicked in. On top of it, she was following the pull of the bond between us, which gave her a feeling of safety around me. I know because I felt the same around her. 

"You're going to give me answers about what I saw back there, and you're not going to brush it off as my imagination, Mr. Knight." I could hear the assertion in her voice.

I turned my head forward. A sigh left me. This stubbornness of hers was admirable, but could easily get her in trouble. "If you stay, I'm only going to take you home." 

"Not before I get answers," she retorted as she buckled herself in. 

"You'll be better off getting your answers from Alaric." The words stabbed my heart as they left my mouth, but if there was any truth to that kid's words: she was a part of Night Walkers. 

Taking her back to my pack without Miller's permission could led to an fight. Sure she was my mate, but if she was one of his, there were rules that had to be followed. One couldn't walk in and take their mate. The bond was such a fragile thing.

"I don't need answers from someone who doesn't have gold eyes and fangs." 

That brought a laugh out of me. "And you're sure of that?"

"Yeah...are you saying he has them too?" The disbelief coated her words.

Forget it. I'm taking her. Pulling off, I headed toward the outskirts of the city. Toward the community. I could show her better than explain. Besides, it seems Amelia's mind wasn't going to be easily changed. I might as well be the one to tell her. At least, I could spend what little time I had with her left. 

As I was halfway into my drive, I felt her gaze on me. "Where are we going?"

"I rather show you what you want to know. Seeing it for yourself will prove that I'm not lying and you can decide for yourself if you still want a part of this."

"Apart of this?"

"The supernatural life. Werewolves, vampires, everything that goes prowling in the night lives right under your nose." 

"The supernatural." I heard her repeat slowly. 

She must be wrapping her head around this piece of information. Because she didn't say or asked anything more. I did expect this, but I also expected her to snap or at least call me insane. I glanced over to see that she is staring ahead. Her face didn't give much away, so I had no idea what was going through her mind. 

Finally reaching the outskirts of the city, When I reached the cut off turn, I went down the road toward the community. The scent of fellow pack members had a calming effect on me. "We're almost there. I'll show you what you want to know, and then you can think about it on your own." 

"Where are we anyway?" 

"The pack grounds own by Edward Knight, leader of Pack Eclipse." 

"Well, this is interesting. I'm going to guess that you all live in secret and are super rich."

"We have money, yes, but that's because we invested in businesses and education. Everyone that works contributes to the funds of the whole. And no, we don't live in secrecy." I turned to look at her. "We live right under the unsuspected noses." 

I turned back to the road, sure I heard her muttering under her breathe. I gotta admit that she was taking this all in better than I was expected. I just hoped she doesn't freak out when she actually sees a transformation. 

Pulling up to the cabin, I stopped the car. "You really want to know answers, follow me. I can't guarantee you'll be the same after this though." Climbing out of the car, I shut the door behind me. 

When she got out of the car, I looked at her. The determination was still clear in her face, but something else was there. A look of ease perhaps. No. It was something else I couldn't figure out. Turning, I led the way. 

I led her into the forest. I could sense the shift in the air. The pack must have caught a whiff of Amelia on the wind. They won't do anything to her, but I'm sure Edward will know of this. I'll just do this, and then I'll go have a talk with him. He would know better than I what to do about this mess. We walked a good distance into the woods before I stopped. 

I could smell the slight undertone of fear coming from Amelia. Turning to face her, I gave a small smile. "Here we are. Look down there."

We were standing on uneven ground. On a hill of sorts. I watched as she watched me as she moved forward to stand next to me. When she turned her head to look down, I watched her face for any signs. 

She should be seeing a couple of children, around seven and up. They were playing like all children did. The river offered a good spot for the kids of the pack to gather and socialize. I could hear their laughter and chatter as they ran about. A couple of boys had apparently played some sort of prank on another. This resulted in the other chasing each around. 

It was only a matter of seconds now. 

As the boys shifted into their wolves, I watched the shock that rose to Amelia's face. She had taken a step back. Her mouth was ajar. 

I turned to look at the children to give her a sort of private moment. "Werewolves have the ability to freely shift between their human and wolf forms after the very first shift. We live out here in the forest to mainly keep to ourselves, but to have some freedom to be both our selves."

I felt her eyes on me, but I continued. "I'm a werewolf. What you saw with the eyes and fangs, that was my wolf surfacing. I lost my temper a little. It happens sometimes with us. Anger is a strong, triggering emotion that allows us to tap into the beast within. It happens with the majority of us until we learn to control our emotions."

"This is so unreal," Amelia finally spoke after a moment of silence. "I-What I saw is just so unbelievable, but I saw it, so I know it's real."

"There's something else you need to know, Amelia." I turned to her. 

She looked away from the playing children. She must have been so overwhelmed, even if she wasn't showing many emotions on the outside. She really needed to know the extend of all that was happening. Her knowing would be the catalyst for the effects of me telling her. But I was willing to accept whatever came. Even losing my mate.

Taking a step toward her, I said in a calm, controlled manner, "You're a werewolf."