Chapter Ten

Friday night came and with it came the first excitement of the year. We were at my house, Clara and I. She had brought over a few of her outfits and makeup box so we could get ready for the party. As she unzipped the bag that held her dresses, I brushed out my hair. Within minutes, she held up a mini light blue dress with spaghetti straps. 

I just happened to look up as she was coming toward me with the dress. I stopped brushing my hair, sitting the brush down on a nearby dresser. "I can't wear that. Mom will freak."

"Mom isn't here to see. Now go put it on," she said as she pushed the dress into my hands. 

"Clara, come on. This is too much." I looked at the closest-to-skimpy dress I'll ever wear. 

"It's only a dress that shows off those beautiful curves you have," she insisted, trying to pick up a short mini skirt along with half a shirt. 

Shaking my head, I held the dress out to her to take back. "I can't wear this. Nope."

"You can and you will." She pushed back and steered me toward the bathroom. 

Biting my lip never tasted so good in my life. I didn't like showing off my body for the same reason some girls loved to. I didn't want the attention I knew I would get from over hormonal boys. 

"Shoo go." She gestured for me to go. 

Looking at the dress again, I frowned, but went into the bathroom to change. It took me a few minutes to change into the dress. Coming out of the bathroom, I felt along my body, trying to see if it fitted right. "It's too tight."

"You're just not used to wearing clothes that show off your plum butt and great figure." Clara approached me. She was dressed and looking like the model she was in her outfit. She even had a cute tummy unlike my unfit one. 

"Great figure, right." 

"Come on. I have to do your makeup and then we can go." She grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the bed. I sat down, and she started working on beautifying my face. 

About ten minutes later, she had finished my makeup and was working on her own. I stood and walked to the mirror. I sighed upon seeing myself. The beauty I had kept hidden looked back at me. I clearly was my mother's daughter. Long, natural brown curly tendrils of hair frame my face. Large, brown eyes looked back at me. 

"Let's go, Babe." 

Pulling up to Jack's house, loud music could be heard that seemed to make the house pulse. People spilled out of the doorway into the front lawn. Cars were parked everywhere. 

We found a parking spot three houses down the street. Once my doors were locked, I walked with Clara back toward the house. We slipped between partygoers on our way through the front entry. Once inside, the place was crowded. People danced to music while the sound of others played drinking games in another room could be heard. To the right, couples sat on couches making out or conversing with one another. Red cups were everywhere with a hand. 

"Hey! Clara, over here!" Jack was waving his arm in the air. He stood to the left of the room. He was standing among a few of his friends. 

Clara grabbed my hand and pulled me along with her in the direction of Jack. When we got close, the scent of alcohol came off him in waves.  

Oh God, he's tispy. 

"Jack, hey!" She wrapped her arms around Jack in a full body hug. He hugged her back. And for a moment, I wondered if they were together as boyfriend and girlfriend. 

I noticed a few of his guy friends were looking me over, but I paid them little mind. All that mattered right in this moment was that Clara was happy. I was a little uncomfortable being stared at like I was a piece of meat, but I would bear it. 

"Amelia, glad you made it." Dean’s voice had me turning my head away from the two and toward him. He was wearing white dress shirt and pants under his football jacket. 

Holding up a hand in hello, I smiled up at him. "Hi Dean." Some of the other guys turned their heads with the appearance of their star quarterback.  

"Let's play some beer pong," he said.

"I’m the driver, so I can’t join the rounds.”

“That’s ok. You can watch me beat these lightweights.” He took my hand and all of us moved into the next room. 

The next room had a long table at its center. It was lined with small red cups. Dean pushed his way though, taking me with him to the table. Once we were up front, he released my hand. 

An hour into the game, I realized something: Dean wasn’t what I thought he was. He was impulsive and boisterous. He drank back to back shots as if he was going to miss out on something.  

All the while, I was mostly forgotten. I watched until they brought out hard liquor. As they tossed that back, I decided I needed some fresh air. Leaving behind Dean and his friends, I made my way out the back door. They didn’t seem to miss me. 

I made it outside just as the wind picked up. Rubbing my arms, I looked up at the sky, catching the half moon with my eyes. 

"Hey, you ok?" Clara said as she came up behind me. 

"Yeah. I'm not feeling it tonight. I think I'm going to go home."

"Alright chick, I'll catch a ride with Beatrix."

Ugh, the creature. “Are you sure?"

"Yeah I'm sure. She may be head squad leader, but she's a pretty ok person."

"Yeah, pass. I'll see you later." 

“Alright Babe. Text you later.”