Chapter Six

She's a werewolf. 

The only question is: does she realize she's one?

She showed no signs of being aware. What's more, she doesn't seem to belong to either pack. 

As students passed me on their way to class, I went through the possibilities of how she is a werewolf. It's clear her mother is a human. Her father on the other hand could be a werewolf, but that's impossible. 

No werewolf would go against law and interbreed with a human. Which brings me to my next thought: turned into one. 

She didn't show the symptoms of a turned werewolf. No, if anything, she was almost normal.  

Looking at my watch on my right wrist, I noticed it was two minutes until the bell rang. Looking into the classroom, the majority of my class were already inside. I went to pull the door closed.

"Wait!," said an out of breath voice. 

Pausing, I saw her running toward me. "What are you doing here?" I asked the moment she was close enough.

"I'm going to class," she said while trying to catch her breath.

"I didn't expect you back so soon, Amelia." I couldn't believe she was back. 

"I'm feeling much better now." She casted her gaze downward. A light pink colored her cheeks.

"Well come on in. We have work to do."

She looked up, a brightness in her face. Nodding, she entered the classroom and went to her seat. Pulling the door closed, I turned to my class.

"Alright class, let's begin."

It was after classes for the day that I stumbled upon my mate. I was just rounding a corner when I saw her. Stepping back behind the wall, I watched as a male student approached her. 

I didn't want another incident like with the Harris Groundhog boy to happen. So, I stayed and watched. 

The guy that approached her was Dean Foreman. He was in my four period class. An average student who was on the football team. He excels at strategy and math, but he lacks the mind to study literature. Which was normal for most male students.  

Tuning into their conversation, I rested my back against the wall. I had to know what started her first phase of shifting. I peeped around the wall.

"Hey Amelia," Dean said as he scratched the back of his head with his right hand. 

Amelia gave him a smile. "Dean, hi."

Her smile warmed my insides. I found myself smiling.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to the welcome back dance Jack is throwing Friday."

A frown formed on her face. "I don't think I'm cut out for going this year, Dean."

"Stick with me and I'll make sure you have a good time." He leaned toward her, wiggling his eyebrows. "Come on, it's the first party of the year."

She brushed a loose strand of her curly, black hair behind her ear. "I don't know."

"Look I really like you and I want to take you to the party. Your friend,  Clara, will be going."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Jack's bringing her. She actually told me you were single."

"Oh." There seem to be a surprised notch in her tone, but it was clear Dean didn't pick up on it.

"So will you come with me?"

She was quiet for a moment. I could feel my own heart pounding in my chest. What would she say?