Chapter Forty-Seven

May came before I knew it. Coming back from our trip to England had been emotional. Especially for mom. It took a month for us all to stop looking over our shoulders for Emperor Conri's men to come at us. Well Mom, Clara, and I did. Dad and Lucian, I still felt, were still on alert. Neither one said a word to any of us, but I could tell from the way they searched their surroundings when they didn't think we were looking. 

But I believe Emperor Conri is an ok guy. He is considered an emperor, so I'm sure he has a lot of stress and duties. Maybe he really is doing what he can to keep everyone safe. He did let us all live knowing he could be killed. I didn't like giving my possible first child away in a marriage, but I'm hoping by the time that comes, I would have thought up a plan. 

Still though, I'm glad we all came home safely. 

"Amelia, your date is here." Mom's voice had me quickening my pace to finish up the last touches to my makeup and making my way downstairs. 

Tonight was prom night and I was looking forward to it. After everything including taking some really hard tests, I deserved some fun. And what better way to have fun than going to a one time prom with my one and only best friend.

"Wow, Babe, you look the definition of classy chick." Clara offered her right hand to me, which I took.

I gave her a big hug. "And you are the definition of a hottie. I love your hair." 

Pulling back, I looked her over. She wore a long, blue satin gown that made Goddess Aphrodite proud. I just knew that long slit going up her right leg was going to get us banned from our prom. Her hair had been styled in some complex loose and braided combination. 

My hair was naturally curly, and so I styled mine back and a braid on each side of my head. I liked the one shoulder ombre gown I picked out. It showed enough skin to satisfy both Clara and I without me looking like an easy target. 

The click of a picture being taken had us looking at Mom. She lowered the phone, smiling at us. "You both look gorgeous. I need a good picture for the future though, so get in position, Girls."

Clara and I locked arms and hands to start off our photo shoot. We got into various positions that didn't involve us getting our dresses dirty but were silly and fun. 

"Alright, I think I got a couple great ones. I will be printing and sticking the best one in the book."

Milly's Memories — the baby book mom started when I was a baby. It was the reason she got into scrapbooking. She isn’t passionate about it like she is her baking, but I think she is pretty good at it. 

Sighing out loud, Dad rose from the armchair. A depressed look had him frowning. "How am I supposed to play my role when I don't have an overly eager suitor to threaten within an inch of his life?" 

"I would have helped you out, but I couldn't let my precious friend go all by herself." Clara wrapped her arms around my head, hugging me to her chest.

I quickly but gently untangled myself from her. "Clara, my hair. It did take time to do."

"Oh, that's right." She started straightening the strands back into place. 

"My daughters aren't normal teenagers," Dad said as he stood beside Mom, who was still looking through the pictures she took. 

I looked at Clara, who stared back. We both must have had the same thoughts because obviously the supernatural world wasn't normal in the way we had been raised. "Nothing is normal," we said at the same time. 

Mom elbowed him in the ribs, shoving her phone into his hands. "Ignore him. You two ladies have fun. Try to stay out of mischief, Clara." 

"Will do." Clara smiled and linked out arms together. "Let's go Amelia. The night awaits us."