Chapter Thirty-Seven

The days passed by in an almost normal peace. Mom and Dad were getting along a lot better now. Mom is still being stubborn, but at least she allows Dad to have dinner over at our place once a week. Clara and I were getting back closer only now our relationship was growing tighter with the both of us being part of a new world. We even knocked off some of the things on that silly to-do list. And I was learning more about being a werewolf. Dad said I was a natural and could even surpass him in running one day. Not that I believed him. I was still only a half werewolf after all. 

My only real complaint was Lucian. We spent what little time we had after classes. Which wasn't much. We had to be extra careful at school. And then maybe a day or half a day on the weekends. After the Clara Incident, it was like he was avoiding me again. 

"I can hear you thinking over there." Clara's voice had me looking over at her.

She was stretching. She bribed me into taking part in a friendly race to test our supernatural speed. She knew I didn't like running before realizing I was a werewolf, but she also knew I'll do almost anything for money. Particularly, her money.

 Clara used to throw her money away on whatever caught her interest in some attempt to get her parents attention. After she realized that wasn't working, she started looking at me. I was that friend who didn't have everything, but I had enough to keep me happy. We had just became good friends and she had started to treat me as a sister. She would buy me whatever she got like ice cream or little toys. Things kids buy. As we got older, things changed and she started bribing me to do stuff I wasn't interested in or didn't want to do. I used to agree because she would always threaten that she would spend her money on lame stuff, and I would have to suffer the consequences along with her because I was her best friend. Other times, I enjoyed taking her money. A free hundred or a few went a good distance when you didn't have a job. 

I shifted on the uneven ground. "Am I doing this mate thing wrong?"

"There's a right way to be in a relationship?" She arched an eyebrow while she stretched her arms out. 

I should let her pass on that question, but why? "There is, but I don't think Lucian will abuse me. It's just that he's avoiding me again."

"He better not even think about it." She turned around to face me, hands on her hips. Her eyes flashed those rings of red whenever she felt a strong emotion. "You should talk to him, Amelia. And if he doesn't want to listen, call me. I've been meaning to try out my new chokehold attack on someone."

Watching her resuming her stretches, I shook my head. "I don't think it was a good idea for you to learn how to fight. I feel like you're abusing your powers." 

"Maybe a little, but a girl's gotta be tough." Clara brought each leg up in a stretch and got into a crouched position. "Get your bun up. We got to see which of us is faster."

Groaning, I dragged my body up slowly from the ground. "You're the one who's been working out the most, so o'course you're the fastest."

"Oh I know. Daddy Dearest isn't going to let his only bio child be an unfit wolf. I've seen him training you." She pointed a finger at me when I came to stand beside her.

Clara and Dad had unexpectedly become close. Well, I guess I couldn't say it was unexpected because Clara is way too invested in our family. After we told Mom about Clara's transformation and Clara was forced to endure a good lecture from Mom, she and Dad met. At first, my dad was a little apprehensive around Vampire Clara, but after they bonded over sports, they became fast friends. She even took to calling him 'daddy dearest' and he would retort with 'pup' much to my annoyance. Apparently, dad always wanted more children and he didn't care where he got them. Hence adopting Clara, even though she was now a vampire.