Chapter Seventeen

Her kiss surprised me. I didn't know what to make of it. Or why she even did it, but I wasn't disappointed nor complaining. As I pulled away from the curve, I couldn't stop the smile on my face from growing bigger. 

The moment I parked in front of my house, Edward told me telepathically to come to the main house as soon as possible. Once I was out of the car, I ran in the direction of the main house. This must be important. Edward wouldn't have requested my presence if it wasn't. 

The closer I got to the house, the stronger Miller's scent was. His brat must have informed him that I have taken Amelia with me. I had hoped I still had some time to tell Edward beforehand, but it looks like that's a no go. Slowing to a stop, I noticed the line of motorcycles parked.

Miller and a few of his warriors were definitely here.

I headed inside. By them traveling by vehicles and in small numbers, there was no threat of attack. Still, anything could happen with the tempers of werewolves come into play. The moment I entered through the front door, all pairs of eyes turned to me.

Ignoring the ones from Night Walker pack, I moved around them to stand at Edward's side. Besides him, Jace, and the second in command, a few others from our pack were present. "Alpha," I addressed my brother.

"I want an explanation." Miller took that moment to speak and his comments were aimed at me. "You took one of our females, knowing she was one of ours."

Typical. It would be just like the son of Ringer Miller to not tell the whole truth. The kid was the one responsible for this mess to begin with. If first impressions were anything to go by: Alaric was a troublemaker. And I was the lucky fool who had to deal with him. 

Shifting my gaze to Miller, I met his gaze straight on. "Your kid told you that, huh? Did he also tell you that he provoked me? Even sought me out?" 

He had noticed me watching Amelia from a distance. The moment he caught me alone, he lured me to the back of the school with some lame excuse. He had made sure no one was around before he began saying I had no right going after what was his. It wasn't until he mentioned her name that I understood who he was talking about. 

"He told me you said that Amelia O'Connell was your mate." 

"How is she one of yours?" Edward asked Miller. "She has no ties to your pack nor does she know about being a werewolf."

"She knows now," I spoke up, keeping my gaze on Miller. "I told her myself." 

"That wasn't your responsibility, " Miller said in a tight voice.

I didn't like the tone he was using on me. I might not be alpha, but I hold the Knight's name. We didn't engage in unnecessary fights nor did we accept being treated just any kind of way. 

"Amelia became my responsibility the moment I realized who she was to me." I clenched my hand into a fist. I felt Edward's hand on my shoulder. A silent way to tell me to calm down. 

"How is she one of yours, Miller, with no ties?" Edward dropped his hand from my shoulder.

Miller shifted his gaze to Edward. "Her father was one of ours. He gave her to my son during their birth season. I intend to keep the promise he made." 

What sort of promise would make him so willing to keep? It's not like Ringer to keep many things personal.

"I'm going to assume you can't disclose that promise." Edward sighed.

"It's a pack affair, so you would be right." Miller shifted his gaze back to me. "You know you must go through me."

Oh, I knew. It didn't mean I would. I already broke the rules once by bringing her here. Not that Amelia gave me much choice. 

"Amelia came after me on her own free will. Besides, she has already expressed her disinterest toward Alaric." I felt my mouth lifting into a smirk. 

"That might be, but that's not how this works." Miller looked back at Edward. "I came here to get both sides of the story. Now that I have it, I'll take my leave. I would ask you to keep your brother on a tight leash."

A growl left me. A simple warning to the other alpha to watch what he says.

Miller shifted his eyes to look at me once more. "But that would be pointless. All is fair in love and war after all. I believe my son needs to learn that lesson, especially if he's going to pick a fight before evaluating it first. She may be your faded mate, but my boy has just as much a chance to win her. However, as she's a part of my pack, technically, I will be taking some measures to ensure she officially becomes a member of Night Walkers. As per her father's request." 

Edward seemed to relax at Miller's words. "Are you sure?"

Miller nodded his head. "This fight is my son's fight. As future alpha, he must handle things on his own. I'll be taking my leave." He turned. His pack members parted for him to leave out first before following. 

Edward followed after the last of Miller's pack walked through the door. We went after Edward to stand on the porch, watching them climb onto their bikes. As they took off, the air changed from tense to a tranquil one.

"You think that's the end of that?" Jace asked.

"Not in this lifetime, Little Brother," I answered with a sigh. 

Once the last of Miller's men were out of sight, Edward turned to me. "I want you to stay away from her."

For a moment, I was stunned. I couldn't believe he was asking me to stay away from my mate. "She's a student of mine. That's a little hard to do. Why should I anyway?" 

"Miller isn't making a mistake in allowing his kid to handle this. If anything, he's using this as a chance to bait us. I can't ignore my instincts on this."

"I can see why you are worried, but what you are asking will be hard to do." 

"At least try it until things calm down some. I have a lot on my plate with this rogue and those vampires. Our feud with Miller doesn't need a reason to start before it's time." 

"Alright." I didn't know how this was going to work out, but I had no choice. I had to do what Edward asked of me. Rather I wanted to or not. 

I could always leave early. Besides I was quite determined to give that little brat a shot just so I could put him in his place. At least that would be one highlight to the annoyance.