Chapter Twenty-Two

Amelia didn't come to school today. 

I should have expected that, but I didn’t. I was sure her mother was going to ban her from seeing me. She wasn't happy to find her man there either.

Trevino. I was told he had gotten himself killed years ago, which allowed Miller to rise as alpha of Night Walkers. I don't understand how he is alive today though.  

As I walked from the school building, I waved to some of the students I passed. Things have been quiet lately. Not a word had been heard from Alaric. Even Harris Groundhog had behaved himself. Usually the kid was trying to find a way to get to my mate. With my intervention, he was being kept in check. But one couldn't be too cautious when a vampire was determined to have someone that wasn't his in the first place. 

Once in my car, I leaned back, closing my eyes. I hoped this wasn't the peace being the all-hell-breaks-loose storm. Starting the car, I headed toward the outskirts. I wasn't ready to head home, so I pulled to the side. Getting out, I locked the car up after taking off the grey suit jacket and placing it on the back of the seat. I didn't need it with the heat, despite it being cloudy. No one would bother it, thinking it had broken down. 

I headed into the cover of the trees. The forest always made me feel peaceful. I could pick up the many sounds of nature. Rodents scurrying here and there. Some rushed to get out of my way. Birds of prey flew overhead, searching. The occasional snap or crush of twigs and leaves. 

As I walked aimlessly, I thought back to Amelia. Her wolf had surfaced, partly because of me. Did her father's return have anything to do with it wanting to be out? If he did turn her, it would make sense. His close proximity could be triggering. I just hope she doesn't become feral. 

The scent of another on the wind alerts me. Following the scent, I turned around. From behind a tree, he emerged. 

"You got a strong nose, Warrior." Romulus chuckled once, moving toward me. 

"In my business, a strong nose is needed." I watched him. Why wasn't he with Amelia and her mother? 

"That is the truth." He stopped once he was close enough. "I didn't expect to find out that one of Pack Eclipse's males is my daughter's mate." 

"I didn't expect to see Night Walkers former alpha alive." 

"Fair enough," he said with a grin. "Are you sure she's your mate?"

"My wolf recognizes her as ours. She feels it too." I could see him considering my every word. "If you're thinking about that promise you made, Miller has told us that you agreed to a union with his son and Amelia. He didn't say why though."

"I guess you want to know why I agreed to such a promise." He scratched the back of his head, averting his gaze. 

"Kind of," I answered. 

Before he could answer, the scents of others came, along with it the sounds of their approach. Romulus lowered his hand, looking to his right. "Looks like they finally caught me. It's right on time though."

Miller and a group of his warriors walked toward us. The look on Miller's face was one of quiet surprise. While his pack members wore equally shocking expressions. Miller's expression shifted to a neutral one within seconds, however, while he looked straight ahead.

"So you're the rogue we have been looking for," came Edward's voice. Looking to my left, I see my brother and a group about the same size as Miller's group approaching. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked Edward. 

Edward's gaze wandered over Romulus. "Tracking a rogue, but he looks like Romulus Trevino."