TWENTY-SIX

I looked at the closed door before covering my face with one hand that reverted to normal and sighed.

'I am stupid,' I thought, almost wanting to cry.

I didn't expect my mate would be the king himself, the person who hates werewolves more than himself.

If it were a noble or a warrior, the possibility of being together would be there. But now, with the king, it feels impossible.

'I don't know why the Lycan god gave me a mate, a mate that is a werewolf,' He said. When I looked at him, hatred flashed in his eyes with the word 'werewolves.'

I felt something on my cheek and removed my hand to see a teardrop.

'A tear,' I thought as I smiled in melancholic.

I didn't shed a tear when Derek rejected me, so why did I shed a tear for him?

'Why?' I thought.

'You had expectations for him, didn't you?' Artemis answered my thought.

''I did?'' I said aloud.

I wanted to deny what Artemis said, but I knew I couldn't.

I indeed had expectations for him to fall in love with me, have family, and feel loved regardless of anything.

'How Ironic,' I thought.

'To think I would have these thoughts and emotions,' I added to my thoughts.

'If he rejects us, don't forget we have Aiden, Hunter, and Scarlett with the goldmoon pack,' Artemis consoled me.

''Aren't you pained?'' I asked Artemis in my head. I should be the one consoling, not her consoling me.

Wolves were paired with each other as mates before being paired with their host.

Artemis must have been paired with the Lycan in the king before she bonded to me.

'Yes, I am pained, but we have each other, Carmen. If he does not accept us, we can reject him, and he will be mateless for life as his punishment.' Artemis said.

''What!'' I exclaimed in my head.

'Carmen, I am a god even If I am not a full one. I can punish him for not accepting me or curse him. Besides, Lycan's mate bond is a bit different from werewolves.' Artemis said.

"How?"

'Unlike the werewolves, they don't have the option of accepting a chosen mate. The lycan god created a mate bond for each of them and that it's for life.'

'If a person rejects the bond, The Lycan will be mateless for life,' Artemis added.

I widened my eyes at that discovery.

'Yes, the king will be mateless till his death if he does not accept us. You are lucky that you are a half-werewolf. At least you have the option to accept a chosen mate.' Artemis said

A knock broke my conversation with Artemis. I looked at the door and knew it was the maid from my floor.

I sat on the bed and said, "Come in.''

The maid opened and wheeled my suitcase into the room before bowing her head and leaving the room immediately.

'She must be scared because the room is his,' I thought as I got up to drag the suitcase and opened it on the floor.

I looked down at the white hospital gown and changed into my casual wear without taking a bath.

I am sure he won't appreciate my scent in his bathroom.