THIRTY-SEVEN

I stared at the flowery glassine envelope in my hands and sighed at my trouble-attracting fate.

The last time Brittney invited me to her tea party, I didn't respond to her invitation, and I had an excuse of going to Argos. But now I can't ignore the invitation.

I responded to Count Hilton's daughter's tea party invitation. If I ignore Brittney's invitation, it might cause tension between the werewolves and the Macquoid family and can lead to a dispute since I am Conrad's mate.

I heard the door open and saw my mate coming inside the room.

I dropped the envelope on the table and welcomed him. ''You came in early?''

I walked to the bed and sat staring at my mate.

''Yeah, I did.'' He said, walking to me and sitting beside me.

''Is there something wrong?'' He asked.

''How did you know?'' I was shocked at his perception.

The only people who could read me well were the Millers.

''You are my mate.'' He said.

That sentence made my heart beat in excitement.

I coughed to calm my heart because I am sure he could hear my heart beating fast, looking at the amusement in his eyes.

''I-I was invited to lady Macquoid's tea party.''

''You can reject it,'' Conrad said immediately.

''But it might lead to tension between you and her family,'' I pointed out the issue.

''Besides, I can't use my injury as an excuse to decline the invitation'' I added.

For her to send an invitation means she knows that my injury is okay, and besides, nobles and maids saw me coming from my training.

''You don't need to worry, I am the king, and you are my mate. You can do what you want,'' His eyes softened as he said.

''We agreed to make this relationship work, so I can't cause you any trouble because of a tea party,'' I said.

''As you said, you are the king, and I am your mate. I am sure she won't do any rash at her party,'' I added.

He ruffled my hair and stood up, ''Just, do what you want, mate.''

He walked to the bathroom after saying that.

We drove into the massive golden gate and parked in the parking lot.

Immediately after I got out of the vehicle, a maid came to me, ''Please follow me, miss.''

I adjusted my jacket and followed her into the shinning castle-like house.

If Count Hilton's house decor was elegant and low-key, expensive-looking, then Duke Macqouid's house screams luxury everywhere; gold is in every corner of the home as I followed the maid into the garden.

Immediately after I entered the tea party, the rowdy party became quiet. I followed the maid and saw that she guided me to the front and most attentive position.

I ignored everything and sat down without making a fuss.

'' Miss Carmen, I didn't expect that you would come.'' I heard Brittney's voice and saw her coming with maids behind.

''It seems you like wearing your casual wear to parties,'' She smiled at me with mock in her eyes as I stared at her.

Expensive-looking gowns, shining pieces of jewelry, and heavy make-up, Brittney's dressing screams luxury, and It seems the duke spoils her.

Every lady at the party stood up when she entered, but I didn't make a move and stared at her.

''Yes, I couldn't ignore duke Macquoid's daughter's invitation since I attended lady Hilton's tea party,'' I answered her first comment but ignored the second one.

Her smile faltered at my action and response, but she smiled again.

''I see,'' She sat in front of the long rectangular table, very close to me. I sat at the side while other ladies occupied each side of the table.

All the ladies sat after seeing Brittney sitting, and the discussion started.

Brittney talked about clothes, perfume, fragrances, shoes, pieces of jewelry, and other things of the kingdom with other ladies.

She excluded me from all the discussions, and I didn't bother to join in. I sat with crossed arms, listening to every praise and agreement that other ladies gave Brittney.

I am sure they know what she is doing, but they didn't try to help.

'It seems lady Hilton didn't come,' I thought, noticing her absence.

"Oh! Miss Carmen, Is there anything wrong? I am having so much fun that I forgot you were there.'' Brittney said with her typical fan covering her mouth with a fake worried act.

''I was looking for lady Hilton,'' I replied.

''I-I see,'' Brittney's brows twitched at my answer.

That answer was to tell her I ignored her since she did the same.

''By the way, how is your injury?'' she asked

''I heard his majesty took care of you.'' She added, closing her hand fan down.

''I am fine, and Yes, he did.'' I answered.

''Then when you would be queen, will you continue fighting rogues?'' Brittney asked.

I stared at Brittney's smiling eyes and thought, 'She wants me to choose.'

If I say yes, The one who would be affected the most is my mate, Conrad. The Lycans will also be affected since their king's mate doesn't want to be queen.

If I say no, the werewolves might be affected, Hunter Scarlett and Aiden won't have a problem with it, but the werewolves might. Either way, I will be offending both sides.

'She is smart to say that,' i thought.

If I didn't learn how to answer Lunas in other werewolves' packs when they try to get close to me or insult me if I did not respect them, I would have fallen victim to Brittney's killing knives with words.

There was silence in the tea party as I stared at Brittney and did not answer her question.

''You know,'' I spoke softly after a while.

Brittney flinched after I spoke immediately.

'Weak,' I thought. I didn't unleash my aura and just stared at her, but she squirmed under my gaze.

Sometimes I wonder why she doesn't leave me alone after losing in every argument she picks with me.

''I don't know how my relationship with his majesty is any of your business,'' I continued.

''Are you jealous of me?'' I asked.

''W-What?'' She stuttered.

''I heard rumors about you rejecting your mate because you want to be queen,'' I said bluntly.

Brittney paled at my blunt statement.

''Your reaction answers my question,'' I stood up from the chair.

''Anyway, I came to your tea party, and I will be leaving since you disrespected the king's mate,'' I left with parting words.

''W-Wait, m-miss carmen,'' I heard Brittney's voice, but I didn't wait and continued walking.

'That should teach her not to offend someone she can't offend,' I thought as I got into the car and left the tea party.