Part 42

It has been a few minutes since Nandini left Manik with Nyonika. She was ensuring that her present is fine and will reach the farmhouse first thing in the morning so that she can surprise Manik and make him happy.

Though it was only a few minutes, Manik was getting anxious. Patience and he had never gone hand-in-hand. It's like when there is Manik, patience can never be there.

Manik - Are you going to speak anything or are you here to throw all the harsh reality of my life on me? If you're then, get done with it already. I'm in a good mood so, I might spare all your nonsense but remember one thing. A single word for my love and you'll have it from me.

Nyonika (whispering) - Noo

Nyonika shook her head in a negative gesture and spoke putting a hand on her mouth. She didn't expect Manik to be warm with her but, she didn't expect him to be so cold as well. Gathering courage, she continued.

Nyonika - Manik, meri jaan

Manik's head snapped up in her direction with amusement dancing in his eyes. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. It was the same way she used to call him when things were normal between them.

I know I have hurt you a lot and I am not here to explain to you. I did all those things deliberately. I didn't want to. Trust me, I really didn't want to. But I was forced to do it. I had to ensure that my family was safe. I just couldn't put anyone in danger but, unknowingly I was putting you in danger and when I started paying attention to your life, you had Nandini with you. I was afraid that she'll snatch you from me. So, I ended up being the villain of your love story but, that's not the truth. 

I know you won't believe me but I have got proof that can prove it to you. But I won't do it today. I know Nandini has got plans for both of you. I won't take much of your time today but, I hope that you'll come to meet me tomorrow morning.  I've got something important to show you.

Manik was shocked, hurt, happy, and angry. He didn't know what to feel and which emotion to express. His eye didn't give anything away. He chose not to answer her for a while and observe her. He needed to know whether it was all a game for her or if she truly meant what she said. He was confused but he knew Nandini would never bring her in front of him before their date if it was not important. She never liked anyone's interference during their time. Though she always understood him, he had made her habituated to all his attention when they were alone. So, there must be a strong reason behind her bringing Nyonika here.

For the first time in her life, Nyonika was terrified. Terrified of her own son. Terrified of his answer. Terrified of the monster that she has managed to create. Maybe for the first time in her life, she has felt what terror looks like in the form of her one and only son.

Manik didn't know how to react. He was happy that he would get to know the hidden truth and that all his miseries would end. But then can he trust Nyonika when all she has done was just hurt him?

Nyonika - Manik, please kuch to bolo, meri jaan. I know you're confused but, I won't do anything to harm you or Nandini. Please, trust me. Trust me this one time. I beg you, Manik. Please...

Manik - Just this one time. After that whatever I decide will be final. Deal?

Nyonika nodded her head up and down frantically and wiped the tears that managed to escape from her eyes.

Nyonika - Okay. Now you should get going. Nandini has put a lot of effort into managing this.

Manik nodded and went in the direction where Nandini had gone. Though he so wanted to tell her to stop her fake concern, he couldn't. He saw the sincerity in her eyes even today that he saw all the time hiding beneath the mask of cruelty.

When he was about to enter deep into the garden of the farmhouse, he heard her calling him. He stopped abruptly and turned around to see her coming toward him with tears in her eyes. He was confused as to why there are tears in her eyes as he has never seen her getting weak. She was always a smart, strong-headed and independent woman who knew how to get things done in her favor.

Nyonika - Will you hate me if I want to wish you something first before anyone else? I know I have lost all my motherly rights on you and you hate me from the core of your being. But I still want to be the first one to wish you today.

Manik was confused as he had forgotten his birthday amidst all the chaos that is happening in his life. He so wanted to deny but he was curious to know what she wanted to say so, he just nodded his head.

Nyonika - Happy Birthday Meri Jaan (My Life). May you get everything that you wish with Nandini beside you. I'll pray that you get the love of the whole family that you missed because of someone's silly mistake and immature acts. On your birthday, I promise you that I'll never forgive the person who has influenced so much pain and hurt to you. Though I was the puppet in his hands, it was you who suffered the most because of all this. I'll make sure that no one hurts you and Nandini from now on. Even if you don't forgive me, I'll always be there behind you to ensure that you have someone who has got your back. All your life, you had been the protector of your friends and Nandini became the one for you. Though I trust you both to be there for each other and be each other's pillar of strength, I just want you to know that I'll be there whenever you need me.

Nyonika finally poured her heart out in front of her only reason for living life. Though her voice was shaking, she knew she won't get another chance to express her feelings. She never thought that Manik will patiently listen to her but what he did next was a shock for her. Nandini, who came to check on Manik was also surprised when she saw Manik's reaction. She could not believe that Manik did something like this.

What did Manik do?

What do you think would have been Manik's reaction?

What do you feel about Nyonika's heartfelt confession?

Do you think Nyonika has changed?

Warm Regards,

Your Irregular Writer