Chapter 5: The First Message

I WILL LIVE.

I WILL MOVE ON.

I WILL TAKE THINGS BACK TO AS THEY WERE.

I WILL GO BACK TO AS I WAS,

BEFORE HIM.

I promise myself as I start another day, another attempt at a normal, happy life. I ain't Romeo who can die, because his Juliet died, nor is this the 14th century. I have people who want me to live and for them, I will.

I put on a lemon yellow, shirt styling white lacings, with a brown gored skirt, hoping that a bright appearance will help me brighten up my day and life.

"-yes I had a talk with Goerge today, and he's up with the idea. Yeah. Also, looks like he's soon going to retire and give his business to Jack." I hear dad say as I join the breakfast table.

"Morning sunshine!" Says mom, placing a light peck on my head.

"Morning" I reply, and to my surprise, I sound cheerful. Might be the positive effect of the long and sweet night's sleep I had last night.

"Jack's gonna join the company, huh?" Eric places a question with his entrance.

"Yes, as soon as he graduates, I suppose," Dad replies, eating his fruits.

"Oh dad, learn something from your friends, when are you gonna give me the company? You're old, go to the Alps. Seek peace." Eric teases, gulping down a glass of orange juice.

"Young lad, you'll get what you're worth getting. You still need a lot of furnishing. In fact, I'm having second thoughts about giving you the company."

"Second thoughts?"

"Second thoughts?"

Mom and Eric yell in unison making dad chuckle at what seemed quite a hilarious joke to him.

"Your father's kidding." Says mom joining us on the table with a hint of doubt in her statement.

"No no, I'm not. Seriously, I have been thinking about placing the company in more competent hands... like my daughter's. Easter, what do you say about it?" I choke at my glass of water and look at him in disbelief.

"Huh. Yes, that's very thoughtful dad. I would definitely want my dad's company in the hands of someone saner." I say, shooting a corner eyed look to Eric.

"What, you-" He throws a grape at me.

"No playing with the food." Mom reprimands sharply, laughing at my little joke.

"And here I thought I was getting a huge surprise this birthday," Eric says and sighs making everyone laugh.

"By the way, how are we gonna celebrate your birthdays this year?" Dad asks, wiping his mouth.

Suddenly, there's silence on the table. Everyone is looking at me. Not directly, no. They're hiding the fact that they're staring at me, but I know.

"Um- I didn't mean-"

"John-"

Mom and Dad say together cutting each other off. The table becomes grimmer as both their voices die down as well. The eyes are still on me and the weight of their gaze only increases every passing second.

"We'll do what we'd planned," I say, before the tension on the table increases any further.

Now they're all staring at me directly. Not hiding it at all.

"What?" I ask flinching my shoulders.

"Nothing. No, I mean- are you sure you wanna do it?" Eric asks, looking in my eyes for the truth.