Chapter 51: Waiting and Not Waiting

The moment Robert brings the bike to life, I thrash against him in shock, clearly not ready for that speed.

"What?" I whine clenching his shirt in my fingers.

He laughs throwing his head back making me roll my eyes for the first time that day.

"Eyes on the road, biker." I taunt in an amusing voice.

"Mmm. You smell different today?" He says, ignoring my preaching completely.

"I don't smell different, I smell Daniel."

The bike goes tearing through the silence of the streets. Every time he hits speed, air tries to cut through my skin. But soon I start living in the ride and letting go of Robert's shirt, I spread my hands to both sides and throwing my head back, I smile to myself.

"Did I drop you?" He asks in a concerned voice turning his head back towards me.

"Wha- no! Shut up." I slap his shoulder playfully as he laughs his melodious laugh making me smile to myself.

"Well your hands were off."

"And they will be." I state in a sharp voice.

"Yeah?" He asks in a playful voice making me frown. "Let's see."

Before I can figure anything out, he picks up a speed almost double the previous and taken by the shock I scream and again thrash against him, digging my nail on his shoulders.

"My girlfriend isn't going to like those marks you know," he says nodding towards his shoulder.

"Yeah. Your girlfriend." I roll my eyes again.

We soon leave Drakeshire behind us, driving now on a road covered with trees on both sides. As the bike moves ahead, I recognise the landmarks from my previous trip to the three towns. It makes me wonder what hells Eric may unfold if he comes to know about this trip.

The thought of Eric takes me to another ride altogether. The happy vibes leave my senses as I busy myself imagining what dreadful truths about who may this day unfold. And sitting there on the backseat of an almost flying bike, with air whipping against my face, I start sweating.

Reaching Kempshire was easy. Finding Dan's home, not so much.

We keep stopping our bike and asking people for Mr Ben Smith, Or Daniel Smith. From most, we get nothing but sharp looks, from a few others, we get useful directions.

Soon after fifteen minutes of going a few wrong streets and a few right, we finally reach a house painted in off-white and light brown, with a wrapped front porch and plants, a lot of those.

Robert looks at me and I take a shuddered breath under his watch. Once across that threshold, a lot of things are to change.

For good, or for bad.

Placing my hand on the wooden door, I share another nervous look with Robert. His warm blue eyes give me the support I need. Turning my eyes back to the door, I knock.

Slow footsteps meet my ears, I turn to look at Robert, his eyes telling me he heard them too. I gulp hard in anticipation.

He slips his hand into my cold ones and the moment I look up at him, the door opens up and my eyes fly towards it, to land on a short woman with grey hair and age lines wearing a maxi dress.

"Who's it?" She asks her eyes seeming lost somewhere.

"I-" I instantly regret not rehearsing this.

After half a minute of her nose swelling up and down she frowns. "Daniel?" The woman says at once making me stop breathing.