Chapter 19: Lying to the Liars

{Present day}

"Just library, where else?" I reply to Bella with a shrug when she asks me where I was during lunch.

"Are you sure you aren't lying to me again?" She says in a cold voice, without looking at me.

"What?" I stop walking to give her a look but instead end up receiving some looks from the wanderers of Drakeshire High. "Why would I lie to you about going to the libr-"

"Well I don't know, the same reason why you hide everything else from me."

She isn't actually upset with me. This is just her taunting me about not telling her where I went that Sunday. Because apparently, she found out that I didn't come to the school library for any research work.

"Where were you yesterday?" Was the first thing she asked me when I met her that Monday and since then, today is the third Monday, and she still can't get over it.

I sigh and follow her fast steps toward the lockers.

"I've told you this so many times and I'm telling you this again," Eric starts his bantering when I reach Bella's locker, as his locker is just next to hers. "-that skirt is hideous."

I roll my eyes at him.

"Yo, I'm serious."

Bella stands there pretending like she's deaf and blind to not be a part of this conversation, or anything that involves Eric.

"Shut up really, Eric, or I'm gonna-" I stop in shock when I find Hannah stopping just behind Eric.

"Hi, Easter." She shoves her too-sweet-for-anyone's-good voice down my ears. I reply with a faint smile.

"Eric," She says, which makes him finally turn around to face her. "I was wondering if we could have a talk about some very concerning stuff." She sounds like she has spent her morning practising this line.

"Sure Hannah, tell me." Eric crossed his arms on his chest. Hannah chuckled.

"You really don't want to put this up anymore Eric, because if you keep ignoring us, we're gonna talk to you in public and that will be difficult for, everyone." She emphasizes the 'everyone' raising an eyebrow toward.... me?

I cannot see what expressions Eric is styling as he has his back to me but he soon gives in and starts walking with Hannah. I see Jack smiling in accomplishment as Eric reaches him and the three of them begin to walk further.

"Don't you think that was..."

"That was weird..."

Both I and Bella say in unison. We share a look and decide to follow them. They're nowhere in sight by the time we exit the hallway. All around us are classes and where, in this huge building, can they be, is a difficult question.

Until.

I suddenly remember where they went the last time I followed the two of them. I grab Bella's wrist and start dragging her to the Janitor's room.

When we reach there the door is shut. I do not try to check if it is locked, because that would let them know I am here sneaking upon them. Instead, I put my ear on the door. Luckily, I do hear their voices across the thin door of the room, but none of it seems to make any sense.

Bella opens her mouth to say something, or ask questions probably, but I place my finger on her lips in time and gesture for her to put her ear on the door too.

"Are you threatening my sister in front of me?" I hear Eric's voice followed by a violent sound of crashing someone, or something on the wall and a gasp that probably belongs to Hannah.