Chapter 27: A Trust Break

(Flashback contd...)

My eyes kept running around the room overflowing with energy until they stopped at a corner. I gulped as I witnessed something I was pretty sure wasn't intended to be up for public display. The broad muscular back was definitely Jacob's and the make-out was too intense for me to keep watching.

I looked away, again running my eyes around the place. I did not wish them to stop again at something I otherwise wouldn't want to see, but I hardly had anything else to do.

I stopped inspecting the space again when I spotted two static figures. Eric and Jack. They were not dancing and neither were they surrounded by their 'laughers' anymore. In fact, they barely looked in a mood for joking. Instead, they looked.... bad. Annoyed and furious. Jack more than Eric.

I squinted my eyes to have a clearer view. They were both definitely drunk, no second thoughts to that, but they weren't happy and looked kind of in-between an argument. Eric was yelling at him trying to be calm while Jack was putting no effort into hiding his frustration.

I followed his gaze to find out what it was that he was finding so sour in his eyes.

I felt an uncomfortable gush of air hit me in the face. It was Daniel. It was him who they were staring at, and most probably, arguing about. I figured they were still not happy with him getting all popularity in a matter of just a few weeks. Before him, Eric, Jack and Jacob were the most wanted guys.

I watched Daniel laughing with a few guys and a lot of girls around him. I wondered when he got so free with them. The guys hugged him and patted his back while the girls kept giggling with their boobs and asses popped out abnormally. The vibe of their attires made me want to melt to the floor.

The argument between Jack and Eric had gone fiercer in the meantime. Jack started to walk away from him with a hot red face, but Eric grabbed his shoulders in time and pulled him back. He kept shouting things at him but Jack seemed uninterested and kept pushing himself free from his grasp. The way eric was yelling at him and the way Jack was fuming, it looked too much of an argument for a mere high school title. But I had no time to waste in figuring that out.

I looked over at Daniel, after a few high-fives he started walking towards the two angry guys with a smirk on his face.

Somebody stop him. A voice came from somewhere inside me.

But he kept walking. After walking a few steps a girl blocked his path and draped her hands around his neck. I felt disgusted and a will-to-kill took birth in me but it died when he brushed her away with a bored roll of eyes. I realised I would have liked him better cuddling with that girl than fighting with these two. Even imagining the consequences of such a fight had me hyperventilating.

He was back to walking towards Jack who was now looking straight into his grey eyes. Eric was saying something to him but Jack wasn't listening.

This definitely wasn't going to end well.

I started walking. I did not know to where or to do what. I definitely wasn't going to stop Daniel who was now advancing at Jack with large strides. I wasn't planning to confront the angry alpha that Jack had become either. But I kept walking, faster, now that the distance between the two guys was hardly left. Perhaps, I only planned to stand in between them as a barrier.

The distance between me and Daniel was reducing at the same rate. With each step I took towards them, my insides thwarted me. I knew I should not take another step with every step I took.

When Dan was just about five steps away from Jack, I appeared in front of him. His steps halted and his eyes met mine. I was not exactly unaware of what was about to happen, but it still hit me as if it was completely unannounced. Goosebumps were visible all over my bare skin. My insides were trembling in anticipation but I managed to keep myself straight. As if he was having no effect on me at all. Just like I wasn't having anyone him, evidently.