Chapter 41: A Dreadful Night At Kempshire

Bella's POV

(That Night Contd.)

The two cars were ready on the road, standing next to each other. While the drivers of both stood next to their respective rides.

"Ready riders?" Jack called in a mic that God only know where he got from. His voice erupted out from four big speakers kept in the back of a truck.

"Hell yes!" Jacob whined.

Daniel only rolled his eyes.

"Nothing to worry about okay? We're following you guys closely, we'll keep an eye out for the winner. I'll be in Eric's car with him." He said, walking over to the passenger seat.

"John and the guys are following behind with the truck. The moment music starts on the speakers, you drive off. The danger sign at the end of this road uphill is your finishing line. Our beautiful girls with my gorgeous girlfriend, are already there waiting for the winner. Got it?"

The two racers got in the cars and hit the horn as a yes.

"Awesome. So? What are y'all waiting for? Hit the music!" He bellowed and threw the mic to John, who caught it mid-air.

Jack got in the car with Eric. I too stepped in the passenger seat of Rihanna's car. So did everyone else in whoever's they got. No one wanted to miss out on the fun. Soon enough the only sound audible was the roaring revving of engines.

Before anyone knew it, blasting music poured out of the speakers. Both the racers were gone as soon the first beat hit our ears and all they left behind was a misty cloud of smoke and dust.

We soon recovered and one after the other, our cars hit the road. The silence of the town was destroyed by the speakers. And the road was definitely not happy with us. But we barely cared because we were all beyond happy.

The enthusiasm was ecstatic and contagious. The moment Rihanna started the car and the sharp night air hit my face, I forgot all my concerns. The noise of the tires against the road was melody to my ears and the music pouring out of the speakers was only pumping more adrenaline in my veins through my ears by the minute.

I loved Jacob for suggesting this.

I was a fool to object.

If only Easter was there. I wondered in the back of my mind.

She would've kissed Daniel when he would win against Jacob, forgetting whatever went wrong between them.

I fetched my phone out and clicked on her contact. I was about to call her when Rihanna hit the gas unannounced and the phone almost jumped out of my hands. I caught it but dropped the idea of calling her then.

I made up my mind to call her as soon as I would step out of the car at the finish line. But until then, I wanted to enjoy the ride. The ride wanted me to enjoy it. I stretched my neck further out of the window and closed my eyes. My hair dancing to the breeze's rhythm made me regret not ever trying this earlier.

I opened my eyes only when Rihanna hit the breaks. For a minute there I doubted if we'd actually reached the finish line at all. It was silent. Not at all what I'd expected to find the place like. I stretched in my seat to find the danger sign Jack was talking about. I had no idea why was there supposed to be a danger sign at all or what danger it signalled to. I could see the hint of a yellow board but most of it was hidden because of the traffic of cars parked in front of ours. I figured it was indeed the finish line.

I stepped out of the car as anxiety rose in me. It was obvious, wasn't it? I'd driven all the way to this dangerous spot to know who won the race. But instead, all I got was dead silence.