Chapter 6: Confusions and Conclusions

Hey Easter Eggs!

Thought you'd start missing me by now.But you're hard huh?(Chuckles)

My heart starts thrashing against my chest as if it's a prisoner ready to break out. I sit down on bare land when I feel weak in my knees. I try to think clearly, but the only thing running in my head right now is the voice message, in his voice, in an infinite loop and I'm not able to pause it. And as if on a mission to rebel against me, it grows louder with every repetition.

I snatch my AirPods off my ears and throw them away along with my phone. It helps. My mind clears out and I start trying to reason about what just happened.

How is this true?

How true is this?

Possibilities and theories start forming in my head against my better judgment.

Can the dead talk to the living?

Not directly, no they cannot. That's insane to even think about.

Can the dead convey their message through some media, like a voice message?

If someone tells me I'm crazy right now, I might as well agree with them. No, the dead can't talk or convey any messages to the living, of course not.

This only leaves one conclusion.

That- that he's- maybe- not dead?

Daniel is not dead?

Is this possible?

Is it possible that he didn't die when he fell off the cliff, and that somehow... he survived?

Why not?

The thought only takes a few seconds to settle in my head and in a matter of a few minutes, it starts sounding truer than most of the things surrounding me.

Daniel is safe. He's not dead. Oh my God!

My heart beats faster than ever and sweat starts tracing lines along my spine. I feel happy. Happy from the inside after so long.

Happy, not for anyone else but for my own self, so much that it hurts. It hurts as my heart might explode. He is alive.

Daniel is alive.

I run to the cafeteria to share this pleasant piece of news with anyone and luckily find Bella midway.

"Hey, where did you disappear to?"

She asks, concern evident in her voice making my urge to tell her everything even fiercer.

I want to tell her there's nothing to be concerned about, nothing to worry about. It's all good. Everything is finally good. All these past days were only a terrible nightmare. All these dark days were a short sail in a stormy sea, but we're finally back to the coast. We're all fine. He's fine.

"What happened why are you breathing so- Easter? Are you okay? Are you- oh my God, let me call Eric." She takes her phone out.

"No no no, I'm fine. See. I'm fine, in fact, I'm finer than ever before." I exclaim pushing her hand holding the phone back down. "Look at me, I'm so happy right now."

She looks at me with utter confusion in her eyes. Frown knitting both her perfectly shaped eyebrows together.

"I'm gonna tell you the best news of my li-. No. No Bella, I'm gonna show you." I say, still hyperventilating. A huge smile stamped on my face and tears brimming in my eyes to fall out. I unlock my phone and open the messages.