Chapter 7: Easter Eggs

Hope.

A small word and yet the most powerful of all.

Hope gives one the power and will to take another breath, to live another day.

Even if all the powers in the world are pulling you down and you only have a ray of hope, giving you a hand to hold, you decide to take it and fight. In fact, when I come to think of it 'a ray' of hope is the perfect phrase to describe it because hope indeed is light, light in a world of dark nothingness.

I spend the night twisting and turning in the bed and I do the same when I wake up. I don't have to go to school anymore, once again, because of my unstable mental condition. I know better than to argue, so I decide to revolt with silence.

It was already bad enough that the whole school was making rumours about my suicide attempts and drug abuse after I stopped stepping out of my room and broke all social contacts, but now with them having seen me lose my calm like that with their own eyes in broad daylight, I am not certain if I myself want to walk into that place again, or into any place at all.

"Easter, it's me." Bella's voice crashes my gloomy train of thought and I shoot myself out of the bed to open the door.

"Hi."

"Hi, how are you?" She looks at me with delicate eyes.

"Come in, why are you standing. I'm fine. Completely." I walk in holding her by her elbow. I start walking around clearing up my messy bed for her to sit, picking things up from the floor, shoving them in the drawer and under the bed, while she keeps standing looking at me.

"It's okay East. calm down." She grabs me by my shoulders and makes me sit. "I've always seen your room messy. No biggy."

"Right." I feebly murmur under my breath. "Uh- I- d- do you have it, Bella? My phone?"

"Yes. Here." She takes my mint-cased-phone out of her purse and I reach to grab it as a dog pounces towards a bone. It slips and hits the floor with a thud before I can process much of it.

"Shit"

"I'm so sorry."

"Fuck no. Dammit." I keep blabbering in anxiety while the phone turns back on, a huge crack claims the face of its screen.

I start searching for the voice message as soon as it switches on. In every app, every inbox, audio files, emails, texts and DMs, I keep swiping and scrolling with my trembling fingers, only to find nothing.

My movements become faster by the passing second and disappointment dominates every other possible emotion.

"Calm down East, you're gonna drop it again." Bella's voice hits me hard and I lose any last ounce of calm throwing the phone on the bed violently.

"Fuck, man."

"God- Easter! What's wrong? What are you looking for?" Bella asks in a scared tone but I'm too overwhelmed to pay attention to any of it.

I cover my face with both my sweaty palms, defeat burning on my face in form of hot tears. I tilt my head up to avoid the downpour. If I cry now, she is going to send an alert to the entire house. After a minute of deep breathing, I clear my throat roughly.

"Bella, thanks for the- um the phone. Thanks for keeping it, it would've gone lost had you not picked it and someone would've-"

"East. Easter..."

"-and I would've lost it forever. This is really important to me and if something happens to-"

"EASTER-" she interrupts me with a yell. "Why are you crying?"