Chapter 29: Expectations Hurt?

(Flashback contd...)

I turned around slowly against my own will to discover I hadn't really walked much far. He was standing hardly a few steps away. With his head tilted slightly to a side, his red eyes bore into mine making my spine shudder.

He took his hand out of his pocket and started walking up to me. His every very step warned me to run away, but I had to have this conversation. This was the most important conversation of my life and I couldn't walk out of it. So I stood there until he reached close enough to hear my heartbeat.

The silence was deafening so I parted my shivering lips to speak.

"D- Daniel..." He blinked briefly. I started wondering what word should I use next.

He cleared his throat and I dropped the search for words as I prepared myself to listen to whatever he had ready on his tongue to spill.

"Now that I have your attention," I frowned at his tone and the unexpected set of words. "-can you please get in my car so we can talk."

"What?" I blurted out before I could stop myself.

"Yes. Please. The same car, that you almost broke just now." The amusement in his voice was evident and my eyes widened in response.

How could he be amused while I stood there dreading the next moment?

He continued to stand there carelessly like he had complete control of the moment. I couldn't keep giving him a weak front. So I decided to play along.

"Oh. So you're asking me to get in your car and give you my trust? The same trust you almost bro- ah! Screw almost- the same trust you broke." The words came out of my mouth as harsh as they could be and I already felt bad for not judging my tone before speaking.

"Hmm."

He cocked his head back, not affected for even the slightest. "More reason to talk. So please, my car." He gestured for me to enter his car behind him while I stared at him in disbelief.

"Oh. My. God. Daniel! You're unbelievable." I shook my head in amazement.

I turned around on my heels to walk away. I regretted even staying to hear him out. Why did I want to have this conversation in the first place?

What was I even expecting?

Before I could take one step away, my wrist was again in his grasp. Not that I didn't expect it so much.

"Please, Easter Eggs. Just talk. We need to talk."

That, I wasn't expecting at all.

The effect his touch had on me was not as profound as the effect of his words. Two words in particular. 'Easter Eggs'. Had he known the effect of those two words on me, he could have easily controlled me and made me do things, I otherwise wouldn't ever do.

Get in the car, Easter Eggs.

Sure!

Lie down in front of the car, Easter Eggs.

Of course!

Or perhaps, he already knew.

Without meeting his eyes, I walked up to his car and slid in the passenger seat when he opened the door for me.

By the time he seated himself in the driver's seat next to me, I had steadied my breathing to a normal rate. He ran his fingers in his hair before turning around to face me. I reciprocated and turned around to face him as well.

If I needed one thing to go through with this conversation, it was confidence, and even if I didn't have any, I couldn't at least give him the satisfaction of knowing that. Although, I wasn't very sure if it was any difficult for him to see through me.