Chapter 44: A Feeble Bubble of Happiness

I smile avidly at my reflection in the full wall mirror. The contrast formed between my pale pink skin and the dark navy blue fabric is almost cosmic for the eyes. Running my fingers across the lining of the dress on my chest, studded with a multilayer floral lace with diamonds studded on their petals like droplets of morning dews, I sigh in awe.

Putting on my heels swiftly my eyes refuse to leave the mirror, but a sudden noise causes me to break my gaze away.

"Hi," I answer the phone in a friendly voice.

"Hi, Easter. Ready to go?" Rob's voice sounds soft and I can imagine the smile on his face making the blue in his eyes sparkle.

"Yes. Totally." I reply in a smiling voice.

He stays silent and so do I.

"Shall I come in and take you with me as an official date or will you come out and go with me like a friend?" He asks playfully making me smile to myself once again.

"I think I'll come out and spare you the horror of meeting my family," I reply as I pick my matching purse in my hand.

"Yeah Let's delay that as much as we can." He says making me realise that I'm only putting in feeble efforts to dodge the inevitable.

As soon as the call disconnects, I make my way down the stairs. Mom's on a call with someone and besides her, the hall is empty of living beings.

I decide to not disturb her and steadily I walk past her to the front door. Instructing the driver to get the car ready, I walk straight out to the road.

Typing a quick message to mom informing her about my unannounced disappearance, I step out under the open sky. When I raise my gaze up to my date, he's already gawping. But that isn't the first thing I notice, it's rather his eyes, again. The glittering blue of his perfectly sized irises grabs my attention before anything else does.

It takes me a good minute to recover from the awe and I notice his flawlessly tailored suit fitting perfectly at all the right places. The colour of the fabric is the same as mine.

He bounces on his toes coming to a straight stand, leaving the surface of the car behind him as he takes slow steps towards me. The car is the next thing that grabs my attention. The awesome and shining blue Ford Mustang standing calmly behind him. And then it hits me.

The car.

The calm on my face disappears in an instant and failing to decide my next move, I pull my dress up with both my hands and run back inside. Without waiting for him to react.

When I come back out, I barely expect him to still be there, but fortunately, he doesn't leave. He shoots me a funny curious look and I purse my lips in response.

"Did you really just consider bailing on me but then I guess I got pitied over by you?" He asks with a sharp look.

I shake my head slowly with a smile dancing on my lips. "Well, shall I be honest about this or would you prefer diplomatic?"

"Let's go with honest, for once." He says cocking his head.

"Um." I gulp reluctantly fiddling with my purse. "Actually, I'd ordered the driver for a car, but then seeing you with this wonderful arrangement, I had to stop him before he embarrassed me. But looks like, I embarrassed myself anyways." I roll my eyes waving my hands at my own stupidity as he laughs sweetly at my story.

Swiftly he changes his body language from casual to formal and opens the car door.

"Shall we?" He says in a pleasing voice.

I smile brightly and get in the passenger's seat. He too takes his seat as the driver soon and the car comes to life.

"Were you keeping tabs on me?" I ask in a suspicious manner.