Chapter 45: Wrong For Me

Taking strides way bigger than my usual ones, I reach the men's room in a few steps less than fifteen. Muffled voices attain my ears as I lean closer to the door.

Failing to make out anything sensible, I decide to take a risk. Slowly, I push the door to allow a creek to form between it and the marble door frame and the voices start evolving clearer.

Eric's annoyed voice is the first one I hear.

"Thought I told you to stay away from my sister?" He says and it takes me only a second to connect the dots. The person from the phone call is definitely with him in there.

My anxiety piques in an instant and I find myself battling a sudden urge to push the door further open and have a look. But the next set of words stop me.

"But your sister told me to stay close." Robert's sly voice hits me directly in the chest and I'm forced to question my senses.

Robert?

The person from Eric's call?

'I can be that person for all you know.'

But before I know it, things start to settle in my head and conclusions are drawn.

A few heavy footsteps are followed by an outrageous voice

"You fucking son of a-"

"Wait a minute Eric, this is our company's event." I hear Jack reprimand and Eric's angry breathing fills the air.

"What is your psychotic sister doing with him anyway?" Jacob makes me aware of his presence there with his question.

"Watch your tongue, Jaco-!" Eric yells but is soon cut off by an even angrier Jack.

"No, why don't you watch your sister, so we don't have to always watch out for our heads? Can she ever stop creating trouble?" I gulp hard as anger rises in me.

"Trouble is created by us Jack, not her," Eric says in a serious tone.

"Agreed captain!" Robert confirms his presence behind the door once again. But the tone of his talking makes me doubt it against my better judgement. Every word of this person behind the door sounds more cunning than the previous. And no matter how hard I try, I cannot picture him with that sly tone.

His words are shortly followed by a loud thud on the wall breaking me out of the cage of my own dilemma.

"You listen here, stay away from Easter okay? You got your spot in the team, you got the money, what the fuck do you need now?"

Robert clears his throat calmly making me go hotter in anticipation.

"One, hands off the collar, it's expensive." He says sweetly. "And two, just because you asked when I did the job for you, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. But look at us now, I'm just as deep in shit as you are!"

"Yes-" Jack cuts him off abruptly. "And if you don't stop messing around, you'll soon be deep in your unknown grave and the Earth itself won't know your address." The reality in his threat gives me goosebumps.

"Bro that, was a good try. But honestly, I'm barely scared." Robert retorts calmly in contrast to my sweating forehead.

"Why the hell are you messing with us anyways?" Eric's voice hints at genuine curiosity and I feel the same feeling rising in me.

"Oh, I'm not messing trust me. I'm just keeping you updated about me and Easter! Look, the day before yesterday, we finally met. Yesterday, she extended a hand of friendship to me. Today, we danced together looking into each other's eyes."