Chapter 6: February, 20 AD, Antioch, Roman Syria

Cornelius polished the lorica or cuirass of his uniform, buffing the gilt decorations over the chest and shoulder pieces till they shone. Today was a civilian archery competition, but dress uniform would be expected. He knotted a red kerchief around his neck and strapped the cuirass over the padded under-tunic. He would not have to wear his gladius or sword, which would only get in his way. Instead, he laid his bow and two quivers of arrows on the bed.

He stepped to the middle of the room he had rented almost six months ago. A guardsman's pay was better than he thought and he had added a few touches. There was a cushion and bedding on the frame, another cushion on the chair, a washstand with bowl and pitcher, two lamps, shelves, dishes. All of them were used and purchased from men transferring out to other assignments, but it was better than he had had since leaving Italy.

He looked over his equipment again. Custom bows and javelins were expensive. He would have to promote and win a few more purses to kit himself out. At least the organizers of this competition, to honor Antioch's patron goddess Tyche, were offering a bow and quiver of arrows, so that was a plus. He lifted the two general issue quivers over his head and then the bow in its case before stepping into the corridor.

His old Centurion, Aulus Verus, was coming out of his apartment with his family. His son Julius, who was also a guardsman and squad-mate, was one of Cornelius' few friends. Julius' sister, Julia, was something, as well. A curvy young woman with keen hazel eyes and a husky laugh, she was an apprentice midwife to her mother Melita. Melita's side of the family was Jewish, something she did not noise around. Cornelius greeted his comrades and turned to Julia.

"Wish me luck," he said.

"You'll need it," she replied. "Civillian competitions sometimes allow women."

The men laughed.

"I wouldn't be so hasty," Melita said. "Diana is a goddess after all."

Cornelius and Julius followed his parents downstairs and joined the crowds heading to the campus martius. Once there, Cornelius found the line of people registering for the competition. Lucius Antonius and his niece were signing in along with Gaius's son, Young Marcus, whom everyone called Bolt after the Legion's lightening strike emblem. All the Antonys carried custom hunting bows and arrows.

"Principal Cornelius, how are you?" Victoria asked him.

He glanced toward her bow.

"A little worried," he said.

She laughed.

"Don't be," she said. "If you beat me, or I beat you, it's fair either way. Have you met my cousin, Young Marcus, by the way?"

The young man extended his hand in a ready, firm handshake. As tall at fourteen as the men around him, Bolt was already developing the same muscular build as Lucius.

"A pleasure to meet you," Bolt said and turned as his Uncle Lucius introduced him to someone else.

Victoria gave her name to the registrar, paid her entry fee from her own purse, and followed her uncle and cousin toward the benches set up for the competitors. Cornelius did the same and made his way over. He could see her slipping a glove on her left hand, and she had leather braces on both wrists.

"Yes, she's serious," Lucius said. "She can do thumb and finger draws, either hand, and even shoot Parthian style, looking backwards, astride saddle or bareback."

There were two other women, local entertainers, archers and trick riders who also had custom equipment, but he already knew who his competition would be. A Parthian merchant set his equipment down on the other side of Lucius, who was talking to some men nearby. Victoria pointed out the Parthian.