Chapter 27: 24 AD, Antioch and Asia Minor

Lucius set aside the Legion's account books and pushed back his chair. His stomach indicated time for prandium or lunch. He stood, stretched, and walked into the main staff room at the castrum. Gallinus was at the worktable, going over requisition lists for the stables.

"I need to eat and soon," Lucius said.

Gallinus tossed the lists aside and stood up.

"I'll go with you."

"Is Victory back yet?" Lucius asked.

After they had returned from Armenia, Victoria was registered with the City as a qualified midwife. She also was attached to the Legion as a clinician, a step below a medic. The men and their families trusted her and sought her care whenever possible.

"She came in and went right back out," Gallinus said. "It's one baby after another over there."

"She'll come home when she can," Lucius said. "Let's go now."

They walked through the gates of the castrum, noting a busy lunchtime crowd at the taberna. In the months following the battles of Artaxata, life was almost normal. Camp families had settled into new routines with husbands and stepfathers. Recruits and transfers filled the ranks. Lucius opened the kitchen door.

"Father? Fortuna?"

"In the dining room," Old Marcus called out.

Lucius and Marius washed their hands and reclined at the table. Tryphaena was unwell and wanted to eat in her room.

"This house is too quiet," Lucius said.

Marcus, Gaius, Sejana and Antylla, Junia, Epona and Baby Lucillus, Eleni and Bolt, with now Marcellus and Fadia, and Juba had all left for Rome to accept an Ovation instead of a Triumph for the two victories. Old Marcus, Tryphaena and Diana, with Lucius, Fortuna and Marius, with Little Marius and Baby Antonilla, Victoria with Prince Ptolemy and Princess Selene, were the home guard.

As they passed the food, Lucius heard a faint rumbling, growing louder and stronger as the ground began to shake. Fortuna grabbed a glass bowl as it slid past her on the table.

"Nevermind that," Old Marcus said. "Get to a doorway!"

He waded across the heaving floor as the earthquake kept up. He made it to the door of the praetorium or office, lost his footing and fell foward on hands and knees. As he tried to get to his feet, he braced against the worktable. A shelf behind the table fell forward, collapsing over the worktable and turning it over, pinning him underneath. Another shelf along the wall also fell, adding to the pile on top of Old Marcus.

Lucius waited in the door of Tryphaena's sitting room. As the earthquake subsided, he made his way around overturned chairs, planters, and knicknacks.

"Father!" he called out.

Gallinus helped Fortuna out of her hiding place under the marble-topped sideboard in the dining-room. She made her way to her mother's room and to check the children, all of whom were wailing. Entering Tryphaena's room, she saw her mother crumpled on the floor. A heavy vase had fallen from a shelf and struck Tryphaena in the head as she tried to get out of bed to find shelter. Fortuna turned her over.

"Mother!"

Tryphaena lay as though sleeping peacefully.

"Mother!" Fortuna cried out and gathered Tryphaena's body in her arms, sobbing.

Marius and Lucius heaved aside the shelves and table and Lucius knelt beside his father, turning his broken body over onto his back. Marcus' eyes stared unblinking into eternity. The last of Mark Antony's sons had joined him on the other side.