Chapter 63: 29 AD, Antioch, Caesarea, and Judea

Diana hurried into the assembly hall and saw over twenty girls aged from six to twelve waiting for her. Gnaeus Florus' ten-year-old granddaughter approached her as she unlocked the storage room door.

"Grandfather wants me to come back to school, Lady," she said. "More are coming."

"I'm so glad, Flavilla," she said.

She looked around the room as five other girls trailed in. Spurius Crispinus had been good to his word and no doubt other fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, and cousins had pitched in. The floor was clean and the walls had been wiped. A tablinum and several stools stood in the center of the space. There was a cabinet stocked with abaci or counting boards, tablets, and styli. Two lampstands and a brazier completed the furnishings.

Diana called her class together and took roll. Thirty girls now gathered around her. She grouped them according to their skill level. Some had no clue of letters and numbers, while another girl pushed a tablet across the table toward her.

"This is my essay on Cornelia Africana," Rufio's granddaughter said.

Diana read it.

"It's perfect," she said. "Will you present it at the prizes next month?"

"Master Soter said no," Rufilla said.

"Well, I will discuss that with him," Diana said and handed a codex of Aesop's Fables to her. "Flavilla, Rufilla, Marcilla, you are our first reading group. You will take turns reading to each other and be prepared to discuss these stories."

As the older girls pulled their stools together, she set out tablets with the alphabet in Latin, Greek, and Aramaic for the younger ones. She glanced up at the door and saw Old Aulus Rufio standing there, in full dress uniform. He put his finger to his lips and raised his vitis in a salute to her before disappearing. He could have given her no stronger vote of confidence.

...

General Marcus settled in at his desk after lunch. He saw Rufio in the workroom and called him over.

"How's it going over there?"

"She's got it in hand," Rufio said. "But I think some support would help. She's still young."

"Fortuna is stopping by this afternoon," Marcus said.

Rufio moved on and Aeneas Burrus, Sr., tapped on the doorframe. He had a small bag in his hand.

"I couldn't get over there for the cleaning," he said. "But this is for tuition or supplies."

Drusus came in behind him. He, too, had money.

"Tuition or whatever's needed," he said.

"That's very kind of you both," Marcus said.

Curio asked to speak with Marcus as Drusus and Burrus left.

"What's on your mind?"

Curio sat down and pushed the door shut.

"My older sister has done some tutoring and language classes," he said. "She's widowed now and no prospects for the time being."

"Diana knows her and they get along," Marcus said. "I think that's a wonderful idea. We're having a celebration tonight. You and Titiana come and bring Scribonia."

"We will," he said. "Titiana and I have talked. After what's happened, we know we need a different crowd."

"Glad of it," Marcus said. "You've always been welcome."

....

Victoria read and reread Ptolemy's letter. The Mauri assassin who struck Juba down had not acted alone. Ptolemy had an idea that he was sent to spark a wider revolt in Mauretania by targetting a popular hero. The question remained by whom and why. Ptolemy hoped to find out. Her eyes blurred as she read his words again. Any mention of Juba's sudden and violent death reopened the gash in her heart. Alone in her office at the castrum, she smeared tears off her face with her shawl. Flavius walked in.