Chapter 50: 27 AD, Rome, Caesarea, and Antioch

Luke puttered around the medical office at the castrum, deep in his own thoughts. The garrison in Antioch had had nothing to do with the events in Jerusalem. When it became known what had happened, General Marcus met with the Jewish community, told them the news, and personally condemned Pilate's actions. Luke respected that, but he knew he had a decision to make and soon.

There was a price to pay for being too close to the Romans. Anyone who wore the uniform, worked for their army, or the civil bureaucracy, risked being labeled and outcast. It was well-known that Tryphaena and Lucius had sponsored Luke's medical training. It was also common knowledge that he worked for the Army. Despite that, he had a growing private practice of Jewish and Gentile patients. Perhaps it was time to focus on that and let the Army go. He went to the praetorium and asked to speak to General Marcus.

"He's rather busy," Polcher said.

"I have time," Marcus said from his office. "Come on in."

Luke entered and the General gestured to a chair at the worktable.

"What's on your mind?" Marcus said as both men sat down.

"I think my days here are numbered," Luke said. "It's nothing personal, but feelings are very high. I may have to make a difficult decision."

"You've got a good practice now," Marcus said. "You could probably kick loose of us and go your own way."

"I do, and I could," Luke said. "But I'm also exploring possibilities in Alexandria, Ephesus, Pergammom, and Caesarea. Whatever I decide, I would stay until you made other arrangements or Princess Victoria returns."

"That's not set in stone," Marcus said. "A lot of people up the chain have to sign off on her bringing Selene, at least."

"Likewise, I haven't set anything in stone," Luke said.

"Let's see how things go," Marcus said.

Luke thanked him and walked back to the infirmary. A courier had left a letter on his desk. It was from a classmate in Ephesus who worked at the clinic attached to the medical college. They were expanding and had openings on the staff. Was he interested? Taking this as his answer, Luke replied that he was.

....

Sejanus glared at a pile of copies laying on his desk.

"What in hades are they up to now," he muttered.

He had been tasked to watch the Antony family for years, and they were the most dull and boring people ever. Layla had had a little girl, Layla Lucia Antonia, and Lucius was over the moon. He wanted to establish a stud farm in Egypt, and develop new bloodlines there. Sejanus hoped he could find a project for Lucius that was a better use of his time. News of Juba's death caught up with Bolt in Crete and Gaius in Athens, letters of condolence to Victoria followed. He could care less if she got to keep her daughter or not, or went to either Antioch or Alexandria. She was shopworn and useless now. Meanwhile in Caesarea, Cornelia delivered a stillborn child and died of childbed fever. What a pity! Old Severus was peddling Flavius to the highest bidder. Decius was now a Captain in Antipas' royal guard, and Eli was a staff aide directly for the King. Sejanus was not about to keep track of gossip in the respective vici. Heartily sick of all of it, he bundled the tablets up and tossed them on a side table. He planned to inspect a smaller castrum outside the City where the Guard cavalry was stationed.

"Antonius!" he shouted.

Beaky entered the room.

"Yes, Sir."

"I'm gone the rest of the day," Sejanus said, picked up a satchel, and walked out the door, slamming it behind him.

"Yes, Sir," Beaky said.