Chapter 34: 25 AD, Alexandria and Antioch

Juba took a deep breath as he watched Victoria in the dissecting theatre below. Greek physicians in Alexandria had pioneered the use of cadavers to study anatomy over three hundred years ago, and it was a prominent part of medical training. A professor led a class of twenty students, all male with one exception. As he lifted each organ out of its place and turned to set it aside, Victoria took it without flinching and placed it on a tray. She also passed him instruments almost without him having to ask, and held back skin or tissue.

"She's enjoying this too much," Bolt whispered.

"We need to lock up all the knives," Lucius said. "And never go to sleep in the same house."

"I'm all for running away and not coming back," Juba said.

The class over, Victoria helped the orderlies clean the operating table. The students dispersed and Demetrius caught the Professor's attention. He came to the observation area.

"I've had grown men faint in this part of the class," he said.

"We almost did," Bolt said. "I won't be eating for awhile."

The Professor chuckled.

"Princess Victoria is an apt pupil and I would offer her additional training."

"She'll no doubt take you up on that," Juba said. "The faculty here has been very open to her and I thank you. She's never been happier."

Victoria called up to them.

"I have to change and go to another lecture," she said. "I won't be home till eighth hour."

"I'll come to take you home," Lucius said. "Or maybe not. You're scaring us."

He and Bolt followed Juba back to the praetorium at the castrum. This fortress was one of two designed by Mark Antony. Like Antioch, it had a double wall, and could accomodate two or more legions and auxillia. For the time being, all three legions based in Egypt were stationed there. It also had extensive cavalry stables. Bolt crossed paths with an older Decurion or squadron commander, with some of his men, and greeted them by name.

"The temple is ready for inspection, Marcus Antonius," the Decurion said.

Every castrum had a temple sacred to Jupiter, King of the Gods, whose symbol was the eagle and whose presence was embodied in the aquila carried as part of each legion's honors. Falcons were sacred to Amun Ra, the Egyptian counterpart of Jupiter. Both gods were venerated
in the chapel, and the honors of III, IV, and XVI were stored there. XVI had phalera and a vexilium or standard, but had never been granted an eagle or imperial image, and the men of that Legion felt the sting.

Bolt knew why the slight hurt so much. In the years after Julius Caesar's death and in his own glory, Mark Antony had created several legions. Among them were III Cyrenaica and IV Scythica. These two Legions defected to Octavian before Actium and were preserved intact. Several others of Antony's legions had stayed loyal to him and, in consequence, were disbanded soon afterward and cobbled together as XVI Aegyptus. In the half centuty after Antony's death, this Legion was a stepchild. Men who had caused problems in other units were sent here as an alternative to harsher discipline, and they fought harder than anyone, but were never acknowledged. Bolt understood why he and Lucius were assigned here. The men also knew and they had taken both rogue Antonys for their own. Some of the men had been at Artaxata and saw what Bolt had gone through, and how Juba and Lucius saved the army with their brilliant cavalry charge. Bolt's full name was Marcus Antonius, but he knew that when the men spoke it in his presence, they were referring to Antony himself. They could give him no higher respect.