Chapter 12: 21 AD, Kadesh, Kingdom of Emessa

General Marcus rode through the gates of the castellum or outpost and watchtower guarding the ford of the Orontes River at Kadesh. It was one of a series that Mark Antony had ordered built along this key waterway through Syria and Emessa. Marcus dismounted and tossed the reins of his horse to an orderly. He looked around him at organized chaos. A blacksmith was sharpening blades at his outdoor workshop and a commissary was dispensing rations. March rations consisted of hardtack, jerky and posca, or vinegar diluted with water. Every third day, the men got bread and some fresh meat, along with peas and beans and some salt and oil to flavor their food. Rations were drawn at the contubernium or squad level, with one man assigned on rotation to collect the rations and prepare the meals. Marcus' staff and those of Gaius and Lucius functioned as their own squad and had assigned Victoria as ongoing commissary and cook. She was kneeling at a trough, kneading bread. An odor of beef stew blew toward him.

"Mutton chops for cena," she called out.

He grinned and held up his clenched fist, thumb tucked in approval. Suppertime was an eternity away. He went into the office, where staff from the three legions and auxilia as well as the Emessan contingent clustered around a work table. A tribune handed him a letter from Antipas. A rebel leader named Simon bar Abbas had arisen in Galilee and Antipas was mobilizing to deal with him, and a bandit gang led by two brothers named Dismas and Gestas. Marcus dictated a reply and stepped into the bedchamber he, Lucius, Gaius, and Bolt shared with Victoria. He saw a camp desk beside her cot piled high with documents and letters from Antioch. Victoria had arranged letters to be signed and finalized in one stack, letters to be read on another, and documents for his review in a third. He sat down on her cot and looked through the letters. Juba had written.

...I understand your proposal and will come with my Numidians to Caesarea with all haste. The chariots here in Egypt are causing some delay, but I can sort that out later. I will write next from Caesarea. Pass on to my bride my pleasure at her newfound interest in medical arts. My mother and grandmother were of like mind, so she joins a tradition of our royal women...

Marcus could not remember having written Juba anything about Victoria helping Medicus Lysias, but he had written about it to Tryphaena. No doubt Iotapa would also be writing to Juba, as he was her former son-in-law. The family rumor mill never ceased to grind. Marcus opened a letter from Tryphaena next.

....I have spoken to Mileta and Aulus about sponsoring Julia to continue her studies. Mileta will take Victoria on as a student. I told her I could promise nothing about Cornelius. Junia was delivered of a beautiful baby girl...

Tryphaena had the habit of writing as though Marcus were still present and able to follow events at home firsthand. She had caught on to his idea and progressed it further along. How Cornelius fit in was a mystery he would have to solve in due time. Old Marcus also wrote.

...I have a new little granddaughter and could not be happier. And, I think this plan for Victory is the most sensible one yet. Can we send Fortuna somewhere to study music? You and I both know neither of these girls will ever be content to sit at home and spin...

The General hoped that Tiberius and Sejanus, who no doubt had people snooping on their private business, had also read the letters. The Emperor had brought up the subject of a private secretary more than once. Marcus thought of a few choice words he wanted to say as Gallinus poked his head in the door.

"Prefectus Lucius just rode in, Sir. It looks serious. Young Bolt and two others hurt."

Lucius pushed his way into the workroom and slammed a dispatch case down on the table.

"This is not good!" he shouted. "Gaius better get his ass here or he may not see his boy alive again."

"Damn you, I heard that!" Gaius shouted and sprinted across the courtyard, headed to the infirmary.