Chapter 85: 35 AD, Rome, Gergovia, Antioch, Caesarea

Caligula found his favorite seat in the gardens of his mother's villa outside Rome. With her death, he was undisputed master and did not have to share it with anyone. At 23, he still had not fathered a child, but Claudilla was tolerable, so he would keep trying. Meanwhile, there were other things to think about. Tiberius had had a mild stroke and his health was slipping. It was only a matter of time. Macro was already copying him on correspondence, just in case. A messenger handed him a tablet containing a letter from Julia Livilla.

...This place is insufferable and I am biding my time as best I can. He knocked me up again. I wanted to be rid of it but the only people I could get to help me are either locked up or exiled. You asked about the woman I spoke of. She goes on trial any day. Vinicius wants nothing to do with her, so will not buy her or let me. You will have to contact Appius directly....

Caligula found a tablet and drafted a letter to the Imperial Family's agent in Lugdunum. Many prominent people retained poisoners, soothsayers, and others who harnessed the dark arts. So would he. He had personal business to settle.

...

Bolt opened the tablet with the Praetorian seal and read Macro's orders. He was going home, in command of VI. He choked down the urge to whoop and went to find Flavius. He had a tablet of his own.

"Congratulations, Legatus!" Bolt said.

"And to you, Legatus Legionis," Flavius said.

Old Severus hugged them both with tears in his eyes.

"But only I get to go home," Bolt said to Victoria.

"At least one of us does," she said. "Congratulations. I know you've wanted a legion all your life. Now I'm in the same boat with Father, both exiled."

"Antioch won't be the same without Father and Uncle Marcus," Bolt said.

"We're Antonys," she said. "We'll adapt."

A messenger appeared in the doorway.

"Yes, Maxentius," Bolt said.

"The Governor wishes to see you and Legatus Flavius, Sir, also Legatus Severus."

"We'll come at once," Bolt and Severus said.

...

Macro opened more correspondence from Gaul, where the outlook was growing stranger by the day. What he had expected was a full-scale uprising of the people behind a charismatic leader, as had happened before. The people were rising, but not against Rome. As word of more covens surfaced in Gallia Celtica or Central Gaul, the people turned on the druids, and did Rome's work for them, either executing them or forcing their exile to Britannia or Hibernia. Other Celts who embraced the old ways were also choosing to migrate, including the Atribatii, most of the Pictones, some of the Parisii, and the Caledonii.

Those tribes and people who stayed were coalescing around two leaders. The Aedui, long rivals of the Arverni, were united and willing to acclaim Appius as King. The Atribatii and Pictones who stayed had acclaimed Iolarix instead. More of the smaller tribes also preferred him. He had shown his mettle as a warrior and leader on raids against the death-cults gripping his people, and that was enough for them. Castillus Bricius had written.

....I think we have this thing on the back leg now. We are getting less reports of druids and more cooperation in rousting them out. The people are adamant in retaining their old gods, but installing ours alongside and reworking the old sacred sites accordingly. Tribune Honorius is key in this transition and my nephew works closely with him. He and Antylla continue to inspire our younger generations with their devotion to education, hard work, and the Roman way of life. The last trials in Gergovia will no doubt see an end to this matter...