Chapter 78: April, 33 AD, Jerusalem

Claudia sat straight up in bed as terror crested in her mind and heart. Three times tonight she had startled awake with the same terrible dream. Gnaeus lay dead on the ground with several stab wounds as someone, she could not tell who, repeated in her ear.

"Have nothing to do with that righteous man."

She had no idea who the righteous man was, though she was fairly certain that Gnaeus' death would be the result of not heeding the warning. Her mind spinning, she pulled the coverlets around herself and tried to go back to sleep.

...

Bolt made his way through a burned out and sacked city, which he now recognized as Jerusalem. Voices wailed in grief and pleaded for mercy. He became aware of someone standing nearby and turned to tell Mark Antony to stick it up his ass and not bother him anymore. Gaius and Old Marcus stood there.

"You must do this, Marcus," Gaius said. "It will wring your heart. but you will do your duty, Legate, and your men with you."

Bolt reached for his father as his mind and body jerked wide awake. An orderly tapped on his door, bringing an early breakfast tray. Bolt got out of bed and drew a tunic over his head. He ate without interest as the orderly brought a clean uniform tunic and underwear, along with warm water to wash. A messenger from Pilate knocked on the door.

"Come," Bolt said.

The man opened the door.

"His Excellency wishes to return to Caesarea this coming Wednesday."

"Understood," Bolt said.

The messenger left as Bolt finished breakfast, washed himself and trimmed his beard and mustache. This Passover had been fairly uneventful. Yeshua had tipped over a few tables on one visit but it sermed to be a regular thing with him, as it was over and done with before he could be apprehended. Bolt counted the days. Today was Friday. He hoped everything would hold together for five more days, till they could get on the road back to Caesarea. Bar Abbas, Dismas, and Gestas were scheduled for crucifixion on Monday, but even their own people wanted them gone. He did not anticipate any problems. Another messenger knocked as the orderly strapped on Bolt's cuirass.

"Come," Bolt said.

"His Excellency has been referred a case," the man said. "He knows you speak Aramaic. Do you speak Hebrew?"

"He knows Prefectus Messala does, Centurion Verus does, as does Augusta Victoria," Bolt said. "Messala is inspecting perimeter patrols this morning, but Verus and Victoria are here, so that narrows down the options. Dare I ask what this audience is about?"

"Yeshua was arrested last night," the messenger said.

"Shit," Bolt said. "I'll wait on His Excellency. Where's Victory."

"Right here," she said as she came through the door. "I have two sick calls this morning."

"Longinus will take ours," Bolt said. "I can't imagine too much happened last night."

"I doubt it," she said. "Joseph can handle Provincial till I get there."

As ready as he could be, Bolt and Victoria left his room in the Messala house and made their way through the royal parklands toward the Governor's Residence.

....

Cassius Longinus unlocked the infirmary door, lit the lamps, and waited for the first case of the morning to appear. Most days in Jerusalem, there was nothing serious beyond the usual nighttime stomach upsets or rashes. The men were not allowed off-post, for their own safety, and there were no taverns or brothels to speak of.