Chapter 60: 29 AD, Jerusalem, Antioch, Capri, and Caesarea

David bar Simon scanned the crowds streaming into the Temple precincts. Passover was a week away, and the hair on the back of his neck was on edge. Jerusalem's population was roughly 80,000, nowhere near Antioch, Alexandria, or Caesarea. However during festival times, travelers swelled the City to hundreds of thousands of inhabitants. Everyone packed into narrow, winding streets already crowded by carts, animals, and market stalls. The Temple's main courtyards, known collectively as the Courtyard of the Gentiles, were crowded shoulder to shoulder. Provincial guardsmen had their hands full keeping people in their designated courtyards, and insuring that Gentiles or those ritually impure did not penetrate the inner precincts of the Temple.

A particularly ticklish area was the Temple Treasury, located in the Courtyard of the Women. People wishing to contribute passed first through the Gentile Courtyard and, if cleared to proceed further, entered the Women's Courtyard. As they approached the Treasury, they were then directed into lines as to where they wanted their contributions to go. Twelve large golden jars stood on a ledge at the far end of the Treasury enclosure. Several held contributions for general purposes, but a few went to specific items such as maintenance of the Priesthood and purchase of sacrifices and other supplies to keep the Temple functioning. The money in the jars was safe, given their size and weight. However, amomg the lines were people carrying large amounts of coins or other valuables, always a target for pickpockets and muggers.

Festivals were supposed to be joyous times and often were. Whole families came, dressed in their best, bearing palm branches. Many had animals in tow, either brought with them or purchased on site. Beyond the Courtyard of the Women were the grand white marble steps leading to the Courtyard of the Priests, with the great copper altar. People and animals mingled. Singing and laughter filled the air along with bleating and lowing. So, too, did the voices of various teachers or Rabbis, some Sadduccee or Pharisee, pro-Herod or anti-Rome. Shouting matches, scuffles, and even riots were common in this crowded, chaotic space.

The tension around the Temple area was palpable. It did not help that the new commander of the Antonia, Prefect Gabinius, was as indifferent as Pilate. His men lined the battlements, their presence reminding everyone of the disastrous Passover two years ago. That this new cohort was a Samaritan auxilliary only added to the angst. Bar Simon had taken Bolt's warning and posted additional men. He also found three other officers who, like Decius and Eli, had Roman military fathers and good command skills in an emergency. Still, he knew it would not be enough. He felt a strange sense, as he had two years ago, that something terrible was about to happen.

.....

Tiberius sat down to yet another pile of documents, and more drama out of Antioch. He, too, remembered his second wife Julia's infamous sex party on the rostrum of the Forum and Augustus' terrible wrath afterward. Now, there was yet another scandal touching the Imperial Family. Nero, Julia's grandson, was in the middle of this mess, and Tiberius' wrath rose as he read Marcus' report of his investigation.

...Young Artorius admitted, after I told him what Lady Aemelia said, that Nero has also been intimate with him and both were often together when it happened. Artos is ashamed, terrified, knows very little of sex and relationships, and wishes I had never walked into the weight room that day. Confronted by Nero, though, he said his piece to Nero's face and did not back down. Nero is denying everything, though Aemelia implicates him.

So far, I believe Drusus is in the clear. Aemelia is dragging in every name she can think of, but Artos is adamant that neither Drusus, nor Barca, nor Messala, nor any of the guard details, are involved. Drusus is also angry and ashamed, begs not to be sent home. He and Julia are looking at property in town and up the River, and hope to stay and make a life here. He is an asset to XII and remains welcome. However, I fear I must ask the transfer of Tribune Nero. He and his wife are no longer welcome in my home, or my command. For now, he and Aemilia have removed to the family quarters of the castrum and he has been relieved of duty. Both are confined...