Chapter 24: 23 AD, Rome, Antioch and Armenia

Julius Antonius stepped out of his litter to cheers from the crowds thronging the forum near the Curia. News had reached Rome of the victory over Parthia, a heroic young Tribune captured and tortured by the enemy, and his proud Roman father, who slaughtered the Parthian king in justified revenge. The populace was demanding action from the Senate, treating Young Marcus as one of their own.

Julius entered the Senate Chamber, watching colleagues taking their places on marble bleachers on either side of the room. Tullius Cicero, whose grandfather had been ordered assassinated by Mark Antony, sat on one of the front benches. Like his forebearers, Cicero was an avid debator and rousing speaker.

Julius looked around for potential supporters. Lamia, nominal Governor of Syria, accepted congratulations from near his accustomed seat toward the front of the room. Julius did not approach him. He had done nothing to contribute to or support General Marcus' efforts and Julius doubted he would be of any help. A consul called the session to order and Julius requested recognition.

"I rise today to ask this body to extend our congratulations, commendation, and thanks to Legatus Marcus Antonius and our legions in Armenia, along with our many allies for the spectacular victory at Artaxata. For the first time, Rome has defeated Parthia in pitched battle. The General and his men deserve our humble gratitude."

He heard some muttered agreement and yielded for the vote. It passed unanimously. Lamia rose and proposed a golden victory crown and the bestowing of a new honorific, Armenius, on General Marcus and his male family members. Julius gritted his teeth as that motion also carried, with a few abstentions. Cicero voted against. Julius rose again.

"And now to an issue of far graver concern, the matter of my young cousin, Tribune Marcus Antonius, who was captured whilst on courier duty and, on the day of battle, was flailed and crucified before the army."

"His rank is provisional, is it not?" Cicero butted in.

"It is, but he does the work and then some, apparently," Julius said.

"I wonder how he's been trained," Crispus Aetius, an elderly Senator who had been an Imperial Legate or theater commander in Germania said. "We expect couriers to keep their mouths shut, but many will give up something in the end. We know that and are prepared for it."

"I'm just as surprised as you are," Julius said. "When my Uncle Antyllus was ordered killed by Divine Augustus, he was seventeen and wept and begged for mercy. Young Marcus knew he was to be whipped and crucified and took it on. According to what I've been told, he understands that he's been given a rare opportunity to be part of this campaign. He believes that he carries the legacy of our family and the Twelfth Legion. He's preparing himself one day to be a Prefect or even a Legate. He no doubt felt he had no choice but to abide by his training and stay silent."

"How is the young man?" a consul asked.

"Last I heard, not expected to make it," Julius said.

"A pity," Pilate's father-in-law said. "He sounds like a promising young officer."

"He is," Julius said. "Juba, Marcus, and Lucius can't say enough about him. But my point is this: We cannot allow the brutality of our enemies in this instance to go unanswered. Our officers, even cadets, must have the protections afforded to high status prisoners."

"Those are never official and are left to the discretion of commanders," Cicero objected.

"They are," Julius said. "However, an officer of this young man's station in life, married to the granddaughter of a ruling house, usually would not have been subjected to such barbarity."

"Unless he is an Antony," Cicero said.

"I referenced Princess Eleni's heritage," Julius said. "He is also a grandson of the royal family of Chalcis and, by extension, connected to Commagene, Nabatea and Judea."