Chapter 55: 28 AD, Rome, Caesarea, and Antioch

Beaky sat next to Claudius at his parents' twenty-fifth anniversary banquet. He had been asked to give the first toast and his stomach was in knots. The room was full of distinguished guests, including Sejanus, Macro, Cicero, Aetius, Proculus, Antonia, Agrippina, and Caligula. The delivery had to be perfect. There were manuals and guides on toasting and after dinner speaking and he would be expected to follow the forms. The only problem, was that none of them summed up his parents.

Beaky was blessed, compared to most upper class Roman men he knew. A Roman father was expected to rule his family with an iron hand. Doting on children in any way risked spoiling them. He was supposed to dish out reprimands and canings as a centurion did, training his sons like tiros in basic. A mother could soften this somewhat, but if she had had a stern father herself, she likely was just as tough.

Senator Julius was every bit the pater familias. His wife and son knew that he was in charge and what he expected. But he also believed that showing affection to his son would not spoil him. Beaky was the only one of five siblings to survive, and his parents had a lot of time and energy to give. He and his father went riding together, hunted, and fished. Julius' office and Domitia's sitting room were places of conversation, warmth, and security, not scoldings or beatings.

"You'll do just fine," Claudius whispered.

The meal proceeded to the wine and dessert courses and Julius nodded to his son. Beaky rose, but his hand was trembling so much that the wine sloshed around in his goblet. He set it down and faced his parents.

"I'm honored to present this toast," he said. "I'm also grateful, and humble, and quite nervous."

There were some gasps and titters at this.

"There's been a lot written on how to give toasts, but not on how to honor your own parents. I'm in unknown territory. So please bear with me. My parents have been married twenty-five years. Lepida and I have twenty years to catch up."

He caught his wife's eye, and saw a tear there. His mother was beaming in pride.

"My father served with and commanded Fourteen in Gallia Celtica, was Proconsul there, and came to the Senate. They lost four children, and pulled me through more illnesses and accidents than I care to think about now."

Claudius and Antonia were smiling at him. Only Caligula had a frown on his face.

"I owe my parents so much that I can never repay. I can only say that I wish them twenty-five, no, a hundred twenty-five more years. I want them to be here when my Marcus Primus is trying to do this for Lepida and me."

His father chuckled and drew his wife close. Beaky raised his trembling goblet.

"To my parents, Senator Julius Antonius and his bride of twenty-five blessed years, Lady Domitia, peace, long life, and health!"

"Hear, hear!" Old Aetius said and raised his cup.

The others followed suit and Claudius patted Beaky's shoulder as he sat down. Julius rose next, drink in hand.

"To my wife and queen, my Cleopatra, my bride and my heart for twenty-five years, Domitia," he said.

The guests drank to her as he leaned down and kissed her. He handed her an etched silver box. She opened it and pulled out a small piece of parchment, read it, and wiped more tears. Julius lifted a lustrous strand of pearls out of the box and draped them round her neck. She kissed him.

"Thank you, My Dear," she said.

Old Aetius presented his toast next. As he spoke, Julius put the paper back in the box and set it aside. When the meal finished and the guests left, Domitia approached Livilla.