Chapter 43: 26 AD, Italy, Egypt and Syria

Tiberius opened the latest dispatch from Sejanus

...I am honored to report a complete victory at Syene and recovery of both Aquilae, that of III by Tribune Marcus Antonius and that of IV by Tribune Julius Antonius, both of Prince Juba's staff. Legatus Gaius Antonius negotiated return of First Cataract and Syene along with ten other towns and villages and five bronze statues of Divine Augustus. Prince Juba was injured in the aftermath of the battle by a fall from his horse and sustained a broken leg, but remained in command....

Sejanus enclosed Juba's report.

...I think it best at this time that we content ourselves with the thanks of the City of Alexandria. I have no desire to withdraw any men from Egypt. After the battle, I was approached by both of my Tribunes begging return of the Aquilae to III and IV, which is not mine to grant....

Tiberius chuckled. The Antonys had turned another situation to their advantage and put him in their debt once again. He ticked off the known lost Eagles. Germanicus had recovered two of the three Eagles of the Varian disaster. But those Aquilae were returned through negotiation after Roman victories there. Likewise, the Eagles lost by Crassus and Antony were negotiated for by Augustus. The standards in Egypt had been taken back in battle. Tiberius would honor the victory in Egypt, but with a twist.

..I congratulate Prince Juba on his victory in Egypt and will be pleased to restore the two Eagles. As to an Aquila for XVI Aegyptus, I could be persuaded to grant them one, but only if their Eagle dares fly here to get it. I would see if Mark Antony's great-grandson can look me in the face after having shit in his own nest so badly before. Despite how he pissed me off, I still have some opportunities to offer him, which will be of mutual benefit to us both.

Speaking of which, I desire you to convey to General Marcus that I will allow this camp marriage, for such it is in reality. His grandfather at least married a queen, but if he must have this woman in his twilight years, so be it. I will not acknowledge the woman or her son, nor will I make any gifts or congratulations..

....

Aeneas Burrus opened a dispatch sent to all military posts, advising of current news from Rome and the Empire. The bulletin from Egypt caught his eye and he stifled a whoop. He walked into Marcus' office. The General held up a letter from Sejanus.

"Our Bolt did it again," he said. "Beaky, too. Post the dispatch. I'm authorizing a day's extra rations and a ten denarii bonus for each man. I know the vicus will celebrate. I'll authorize leave for non-essential personnel and an open house here when it happens."

"Thank you, Sir," Aeneas said.

As he went to find a clerk to copy the message onto a piece of board to post for the garrison, he crossed paths with Crispinus and Young Rufio.

"Our Bolt pulled off another bit of daring," he said and let them read the dispatch. They approached a few others and told them the news. Word would get out before the dispatch was put up on a bulletin board outside the praetorium. The lunchtime crowd would carry the tidings to the taberna and into the vicus.

....

Flavius opened the latest dispatches and news bulletins from Rome, piecing together what should be copied and posted on the bulletin board of the castrum. He gathered the items and went into Pilate's office.

"Three letters, Sir, one from Prefect Sejanus. Five bulletins. It looks like we won in Egypt and recovered the Eagles."

Pilate grunted in disgust as he read the bulletin. Normally, the recovery of even one Eagle would be a cause for celebration anywhere in the Empire. The recapture of two Aquilae in pitched battle was an unheard of feat.