Chapter 42: 26 AD, Syene, Egypt

Victoria laid trays on a table in the exam room of the medical tent and began filling them with clean instruments. Though not yet a full physician, she would be performing surgeries if called for. She just hoped the casualties were not as high as Artaxata. As she set out scalpels, tweezers and probes, along with clamps and thread for sutures, she checked her gut for any misgivings. There were none for the time being.

The Roman and Egyptian forces had Nubia at a disadvantage. Juba could resupply his army mostly by river, and Bolt's patrols kept the Nubians away from from the Roman supply depots along the riverbank. He was paying special attention to couriers, scouts, sentries, and skirmishers. Native Egyptians were doing much of this work, and though they, too, thought of Bolt as an ill omen, he was keeping them safe for the time being, and they accepted him from a distance.

Victoria chuckled at the crazy stories about her cousin and remembered Charon back home. His black color, wild eyes, and antics suggested high temper. He was a leader who kept the other stallions in line. But he was the most gentle stud ever. Even children could feed him treats or ride him. Bolt did not have to threaten or use excessive profanity to make his wishes known to his men. His height, build, skill with weapons, and his courage got their attention and compliance. He brushed the eagle stories off as nonsense and kept a level head, expecting others to do the same.

Victoria ticked off Juba's order of battle in her mind. At Artaxata, there were two infantry and two cavalry commanders, one apiece to deal with both wings of the enemy army. Here, Juba had Gaius for the infantry and Lucius for the cavalry. Juba would hold his Numidians in reserve and could take the field if necessary. Canidius was a skilled horseman, Vorenus and Bassus were trained to both. As was his habit, Juba had thought of most contingencies, and had more than one plan in mind. Her heart swelled with pride and she dashed some vinegar on the ground as a libation, but not to Mark Antony. She invoked Old Marcus instead.

....

Beaky vaulted into his saddle. Unlike Bolt and Victory, who had some prior experience, this was his first taste of combat. An orderly handed him a laguncula or canteen of water and he also had one of posca. In battle, horn and drum signals were used to direct movement of the men in their various units. A staff officer had to keep the commanders connected. That would be his role.

He could feel the wind whipping up as dawn broke on the horizon. Like Juba, he had switched out the heavy metal galea for a turban and neck scarf. During Antony's time in Egypt, Cicero and others had run him down for using kohl around his eyes. Juba used it routinely on the march or in battle. The black paint kept sand and grit out of the eyes, helped them stay moist, and cut down the sun's glare. Juba had also shown his officers how to wind the neck scarf in such a way that it could be pulled over the mouth and nose in the event of a storm. And he insisted that the men alternate water and posca to keep hydrated.

Beaky saw Juba and Gaius mounting their horses and came to join them. Juba would start the battle from a position behind the lines, but Gaius had no doubt he would be in the thick of the fight before it ended. Only Juba commanded his Numidians and Carthaginians, which were in reserve for the time being. Gaius turned his horse toward the main Roman columns on the field. All three Legions had something to prove. He greeted Vorenus, as the most senior of the two Legates. Normally, a Legate would be back at the headquarters tent, but Vorenus and Bassus had chosen to be on the field to shore up their men, while Canidius worked with Bolt on the Roman left. Gaius could see the Nubian army before them. Like Parthia, the Nubians relied on cavalry and some chariots. They were also expert archers and slingers and experienced desert fighters. This battle would not be easy and winning was not assured.

....

Bolt drew his sword with his right hand and switched it to the left. He was wearing both the jackal's head and his smaller cypress wood daggers. He knew that Lucius had done all he could to choke off Nubia's supply lines, and he was the Akhom who had terrified sentries and scouts on the enemy side. Today, though, Bolt would capitalize on some of his own infamy. Canidius rode over to him.