Chapter 98: 40 AD, Rome, Augusta Trevororum, Baiae

Caligula paced the darkened halls of the Domus Augusta, knowing that he had been played. He had planned to use the accession ceremonies to rid himself of several potential rivals for the diadem, particularly Ptolemy, Young Marcus, and Iullus. Senator, now once more General Marcus had put them beyond his reach.

The General was in his element now, back in the field, moving among the various bases on the Limes. The Cheruscii focused their efforts on Augusta Trevororum and Mogantiacum, but had been repulsed several times. Each new engagement was greeted by the people of Rome with acclaim for their popular heroes, whom they called by nickname. Busts of Bolt, Beaky, and Artos spilled out of shops, along with likenesses of Mark Antony, Vercingetorix, and even Juba. Checkered Gaulish wool was everywhere. Braccaes were the new rage, along with short tunics and closed boots. What Caligula did not see was enthusiasm for himself. Figurines and medallions bearing his likeness piled up on counters and in market stalls, unwanted. He was old news, as Tiberius had been before him. A messenger brought him several tablets. The top one was from Domitius Lepidus.

...We met a sizeable Germanic force outside Trevororum and fought a pitched battle to complete success. Iolarix of Gaul led his cavalry in charges that pierced the enemy's line no less than three times, leading to their retreat. The King's ardor in these raids is all the more keen after he met some elderly men who were among Varus' soldiers and are now back in our care. There are smaller Belgic and Celtic tribes who want no part of this war and are caught in a vicious middle. Iolarix and Brennus are the pointmen on dealing with these people...

Meanwhile, Claudius had written.

....Ptolemy landed in Puteoli without incident. He is with me now in Baiae and we will start for Rome in a day or so. All three boys remain with Urania in New Carthage...

Caligula knew he had the Barcii and their cousins of the Aurelianii and Malchii to thank for keeping the Mauretanian royal heirs just out of his reach. He could command they be brought, but Ptolemy and Marcus were both experts at dragging their feet. Likewise, the Emessans declined participation in the festival and refused Princess Eleni's family permission to travel anywhere but Antioch. Pontus and Thrace also stepped back, even Agrippa declined to participate. Second thoughts about the whole festival crested in the Emperor's mind. But the populace were expecting nonstop games and races along with doles of bread and wine for the rest of the winter. It was too late to back out now. Livilla wrote.

...Ptolemy is being met here with acclaim by the crowds. The City Officers have planned a welcome banquet. I saw some of his entourage unloading at the harbor. He has a splendid entry planned. All to your glory, Divine One...

Caligula's temperature rose. All he needed right now was the popular attention focused on Ptolemy. Antony that he was, Ptolemy was more interested in his glory. He would also capitalize on any opportunities. There had to be a reason he was making such a splash. He had something in mind and Caligula knew he would grab for the diadem if he could. Another messenger brought a tablet bearing the consular seal. Marcus had written.

....I have to report the recapture of the Aquila of Legio XIX by a forward raiding party led by Iolarix. The Eagle was reposed at a large temple in a village about a day's march on their side of the Limes. Dozens more men recovered, elderly, in terrible shape from over thirty years of unrelenting abuse. Iolarix is behaving with complete propriety. He refrained from taking the Aquila, posted a guard, and notified Legatus Sextus Gabinius of V Alaudae. He says he wishes no attention drawn on himself. He has surrounded the recovered men with honor and support provided by his horsemen. Some have German families, and he begged me that they not be separated, but taken along with their menfolk. It is the only reward Iolarix desires...