Chapter 83: 35 AD, Capri, Gaul, Caesarea, and Antioch

Tiberius hobbled to his desk and sat down to more drama from the Antonys. Artaxis of Armenia had died, and his son Aristobulus, the ex-husband of Salome of Chalcis, was installed as king. He, too, passed away within a few months, leaving that throne open. The Parthians were clamoring to install one of Mithridates' brothers, but Tiberius knew they were using this ploy to absorb Armenia completely. He had a number of candidates to choose from, all of whom were guaranteed to piss Parthia off.

The two Lepidus brothers, Gnaeus or Aemilius, were possibilities. They both descended from Lepidus and Antony, as well as the Julii. And they were married to Imperial women, Julias Agrippina and Drusilla, respectively. There was also Young Marcus, with his royal Emessan wife. He was already a fixture in Parthian folklore as a monster who snatched naughty children. Finally, there was Victoria, Artaxis' niece. Flavius would be out of his depth in this assignment but she would flourish. Her connections to the Ptolemaic dynasty were a plus.

Thinking of the Armenian sucession forced Tiberius to ponder his own options. Gemellus should have been the most likely succcessor, but there was no doubt he was mentally defective. The voices in his head chattered nonstop and he seemed to be a perpetual child. Germanicus' line was a wash. Drusus and Nero had produced no children before their deaths. Caligula was married now, to Claudilla Silana, the daughter of another close friend of the Emperor, Senator Junius Silanus. No heirs as of yet. Of Germanicus' daughters, only Julia Livilla had produced a son, Marcellus Vinicius, and had another on the way.

Tiberius decided to hedge his bets by nominating five candidates for Armenia, Gnaeus, Domitius, or Aemilius Lepidus, Young Marcus, and Victoria. He also named Domitius a co-executor of his will along with Senator Julius, Old Valerius Messala, and Caligula himself. Caligula and Gemellus would rule as co-emperors. As he drafted these instructions, an aide entered the room and waited to be acknowledged.

"What is it?" Tiberius snapped.

"Senator Lamia passed in his sleep last night, Divinity."

"Damn!" Tiberius muttered.

He ticked off his list of fast-dwindling allies in the Senate. Most, like Julius, Cicero, Proculus, Valerius, and others were old gummers like himself. General Marcus was also aging, but if anyone deserved this honor, it was him. He drafted the order appointing Marcus as a Senator, effective immediately. Lucius was appointed as Proconsul of Syria. Bricius remained in command of XII and was now Eastern Commander. Gallinus would continue in charge of VI.

...

Marius Gallinus vaulted aboard his favorite horse and set out for a morning ride. His father's family had owned land along the River for generations, and he was as attached to it as Bolt was. He headed toward a bluff on the riverbank to take in the view, his mind on so many things. Both the Gallinuses and Antonys were expanding their farms, and they held several supply contracts with the Army for horses and other livestock. Plans were in place to establish a water mill for grinding grain, foundries, and factories to produce everything from from nails, arrowheads, and slingshot balls, to pottery, cloth and foodstuffs. The Antonius brothers, Young Severus Messala, Gallinus, Bricius, Barca, and Vorenus had bought shares and stood to make a killing once the facilities were operational.

Gallinus stopped his horse on the bluff and looked over the twisting waterway of the Orontes. Rains had been good this year, and the river was brimful but not flooding. It would be a fine time for crops and grazing livestock. He could see more barns and outbuildings being built on the Antony land. He, too, had corrals, barns, mills, and shops under construction. Satisfied with the progress he was seeing, he turned his horse to a favorite bridle path and went to canter.

He had his own fond memories of growing up here. Metellus could not balance on a horse. Gabinius and his minions, Polcher, Poplicola, and Curio were no fun. His favorite riding friend was Bolt, though he was several years younger. Together, they had scoured the hills and valleys on both sides of the River. Thinking back on it now, he settled into the horse's stride and took him to gallop.