Chapter 57: 28 AD, Caesarea and Capri

Tiberius fumed as he pondered yet more behavior, good and bad, from the Antony branch of the family. He had liked Livilla once, as a young girl. The older she got the more self-centered and spoiled she became. Like her Grandfather, she had no grasp of anything other than her immediate pleasure. He knew she had never been faithful to Drusus, and that Sejanus was only one of her many lovers. What she was doing snooping in Domitia's private letters was anybody's guess.

He was even more upset with Beaky. Another of Mark Antony's many undesirable traits was a sudden, explosive temper and a petty, vengeful streak. Beaky was understandably outraged at the violation of his mother's privacy, but he had had no right to put his hands on an Imperial woman. His conduct was not a military offense, but it was unbecoming. Tiberius, though, needed the Antony family at the moment and was not in a position to alienate them. He ordered that Antonia reprimand her daughter, that Livilla return to her mother's home and stay her ass there, and that Beaky be reinstated to the Guard and keep his hands, mouth, and opinions to himself. Of the two cousins, Beaky was nowhere near the brains and wits of Bolt, but he, too, was a hard worker and quick learner, and he had his uses.

So did his father. Senator Julius was working with Sejanus for a marriage with the Praetorian Prefect's youngest sister Aelia with Claudius, as well as marriages for Young Claudius and Germanicus' eldest daughter, Agrippina the Younger. Julius had several leads on the younger ones' marriages and Tiberius ranked his preferences on each, assuring Julius that his ire with Beaky did not extend to the Senator and his wife. He wanted Julius to be one of two Consuls of Rome, needing a capable civil leader to counterbalance Sejanus. Tiberius was still willing to trust Sejanus. The two had been friends for decades. But the Roman political system depended on intricate checks and balances. Tiberius ordered that Julius Antonius be appointed as a consul, to serve as a suffect or proxy for the Emperor himself, while the second consulship remained an elective, rotating position, as it always had been. Beaky would be a staff and liaison officer between Julius, Sejanus, and Tiberius.

Then, Tiberius approved Sejanus' idea of a Samaritan cohort for the Italian Band to be permanently based in Jerusalem at the Antonia. He did not want either Young Marcus or Flavius Messala to lead it, and preferred a permanent commander be brought from outside the current structure. He ordered that Sejanus choose among Marcus' and Gaius' officers, who were from local families and among the best trained for difficult postings. Personally, he hoped that Sextus Gabinius would be the one. Gabinius was not a fan of either Pilate, the Antonys, or the Messalas and could be counted on to operate independently.

Tiberius had also received a scathing review of Aemilia's behavior from Gaius Antonius. Roman women were taught how to behave around men from an early age. They were to be meek and modest, not presuming to flirt or draw attention to themselves. Only Tiberius' granddaughter, Julia Livia, seemed to know and keep her place. The Antonys loved her, and hoped Tiberius would allow Drusus and Nero to stay in Antioch for the time being, but they were not happy with Aemilia. Tiberius ordered Aemilia's grandmother, Antonia Major, to scold Aemilia and copy him on the letter. A woman who stepped out of line could be sent to a family estate and eventually starved, strangled, drowned, or poisoned. The consequences were well-known and Aemilia had better straighten up or else.

He picked up a box and opened it to reveal a beautiful golden glass cameo in a gilt frame twined into the snakes of Aesclepius. It showed Victoria full-face wearing Vipsania's jewelry, with Selene asleep on her shoulder. A legend around the edge of the cameo read, 'Victoria Antonia Augusta, in humble duty and gratitude.' Her thank you note showed that she had read his letter and understood his message and what was expected of her. She was a model Roman matrona in every way, having born Juba four children, and she and Flavius had one on the way. Tiberius was not thrilled with her desire to practice medicine, but she had done so while preserving her reputation and modesty. It could be done and she had proved it. Why other women could not keep their behavior in line was anybody's guess, and their own fault.