Chapter 72: 31 AD, Rome, Antioch, Caesarea, and Gergovia, Gaul

Sejanus entered the main office at the Castra Praetorium. Macro's door was still closed and locked. None of the Tribunes were present. No one else was in their stations or at the worktable. He opened his door and saw that his desk and shelves had been searched and chests containing years of correspondence were gone. A single tablet lay on his desk. It bore Gavius Appicus' seal. Sejanus opened it.

...My daughter has taken her own life. I think you know why. I am the executor of her will and need nothing further from you. You have ripped out my heart and I hope you will one day know the enormity of all you've done to so many people...

Sejanus' mind raced. The Senators were holed up in the Curia, refusing to leave or disband their current session. Claudius, both Antonias, Agrippina and her daughters, and the various Messalii, Antonii, Lepidii, and Marcellii were gathered at Antonia Minor's and Julius' country estates. Tiberius had not been heard from for several days. Macro entered the office, Domitius Lepidus was with him.

"You are hereby relieved of command and under arrest," Macro said. "I am to bring you before the Senate at once to hear your charges."

"What charges?!"

"You'll find out soon enough," Lepidus said. "Surrender your sword and sidearms."

Two full squads of Guardsmen with four lictors crowded the workroom. Sejanus unbuckled his balteus and laid the weapons on the desk. Domitius led him outside, where a litter draped with black curtains awaited. He and Domitius got in and bearers took up the poles. As they left the gates of the castrum, he could hear the crowd's cries of anger.

"Down with the Traitor!"

"Murderer!"

"Tyrant!"

"Death is too good for you!"

They arrived at the Curia. Julius Antonius and Valerius Messala were in their places on the dais. The other Senators, worn out and bedraggled, glowered from their seats. A magistrate faced Sejanus.

"You are charged with treason against the Empire, sedition, crimes against the August One's majesty by plotting his overthrow and death, the murders of General Germanicus Julius Caesar, General Drusus Julius Caesar, and former Tribune Nero Julius Caesar, Prince Juba of Mauretania, Princess Urracca of the Vascones, Princess Mistilla of the Cheruscii, and the attempted poisoning of Prince Iolarix of Gaul, and using the same to destabilize the Empire, and misuse of your official position."

"I demand trial!" Sejanus shouted.

"You'll have it," Julius said. "Take him away."

The Guardsmen surrounded him, and bludgeoned the yelling crowds as they crossed the Forum to the Tullianum, the city jail of Rome. Once there, warders took charge of him, demanded he remove his boots and leather overtunic, and herded him into one of the lower dungeons. His two sons, Tribunes Strabo and Capito, joined him a few moments later. They looked around in the dim torchlight. None of them had to utter Vercingetorix' name. They were in his cell, accused of the attempted murder of his great-grandson. The omens were clear.

.....

An orderly unbuckled Bolt's cuirass and set it and Antony's sword on the rack. Bolt, Flavius, Victoria, and Decius had ridden back to Caesarea straight for several hours from the canyon where they had captured bar Abbas, Dismas, and Gestas. The bandits were secure in the Antonia Fortress under Gallio's custody, while a bittersweet celebration took place on the coast. It was a fitting end to David bar Simon's career. He presided over a final review of his army on the parade ground on the Provincial side, and turned his command over to his son Benjamin bar David. Flavius and Decius were proud to witness their uncle's retirement, but bar Simon had become a trusted colleague and mentor to all the younger officers, both Roman and Judean. Antipas was hosting a banquet later that evening, though for now, there was a desk full of work.