Chapter 74: 32 AD, Capri, Gergovia, Caesarea, and Antioch

Tiberius sat down to his usual pile of gossip from far-flung Antonys. Appius had written to Macro.

....Whatever that old woman meant by her little boot comment, the trail has grown cold. She and five others have been burned alive in the Forum. Four orderlies flogged and sold to the mines, their families taken into slavery. I hope that puts the lesson across and I have closed the investigation. My nephew's conduct in making sure no one got any bad food and everyone at the banquet remained calm and focused shows good leadership potential...

Tiberius agreed but wondered what Macro and Caligula were witholding from him. He did not believe in witches' mumbles. Whoever the old hag was, she took more secrets than she should have to an infernal grave. Caligula was not on Capri, but was spending more time with his mother and older brother at Agrippina's estate near Rome. Tiberius knew that his new Praetorian Prefect was content to share his wife Ennia with Caligula and perhaps Drusus. And, he wondered what else Drusus, Caligula, Macro, and Agrippina might be up to.

Drusus had gone back to his old ways after returning to Italy. He was out to the bars and taverns all night, seen at the wildest parties, and Julia Livia was right there with him, as much a hussy as Aemilia or Julia Augusta ever was. Nor were Ennia and Julia the only women Drusus and Caligula had on the string. Both Imperial brothers were seeing Claudius' estranged wife Aelia. Aemilia, not so mad after all, was part of their group, as was Valeria Messallina, Valerillus' sister, and all three of Agrippina's daughters. It was time to get the youngest, another Julia, married and Tiberius wrote to Publius Vinicius and Julius Antonius. Publius' son Marcus was the lucky groom, per the Emperor's order. A messenger brought some more copies of letters and a different conundrum. Severus had written to Macro.

...Our Eagle has found his wings. He runs this garrison better than ever I could, and with no help from above. Flavius handled the investigation into the poisoning with no guidance whatsoever. Two servants and the sausage vendor crucified for poisoning food. Our suspicions otherwise remain unproven. When he returned from Tiberias, Marcus asked me outright if he needed to copy any further private correspondence. He wishes to serve the August One's interests but maintain his family's privacy.

General Marcus had also written to Macro.

...My daughters and niece have asked me to insure that their family correspondence remains private. Prince Iolarix and Prefectus Barca desire the same...

Beaky wrote to his father.

...My letters and those of my wife are private and if I catch anyone reading or copying them, I will assume they are a spy and deal with them accordingly...

Pilate had written.

...I suspect Legate Antonius has converted or plans to. When I asked him about the visit to the man in Caperneum and freeing his slaves, he told me that these matters were none of my business and refused to discuss them. Since his return from Africa and promotion he is insufferable and leading his officers by his example...

Macro had written to Appius.

...Remind Prince Iolarix and Tribune Honorius of the edicts against druidism. As officers, both can be prosecuted for practicing a foreign superstition...

And Appius replied.

...I am leaving to these two officers, both more accultured than I, the discretion to work among the common people as they see fit. As to prosection for superstitious practices, both have the example of a certain Eagle to look to...

The Antonys were drawing a line in the sand, and leading others with them. When they went too far, he would be waiting.

...