Chapter 102: 41 AD, Caesarea Maritima

Evening settled over the harbor as the group gathered in Cornelius' triclinium looked from one to another. The past twenty-two years had been a bittersweet, wild, and often dangerous ride. Flavius had joined the conversation at lunch, and he put an arm around his wife.

"Yehonan and Yeshua were right about one thing," he said. "Our family has survived."

"With some incredible stories," Micah said. "Brothers, I think we have all we need."

"We do," Matthew said.

"With one exception," John said. "My cousin always found it admirable, General, that on the day you came seeking help for Micah, you asked nothing for yourself."

"I don't believe I'm within my rights to," Bolt said. "I have done and yet will do many terrible deeds in the name of Rome. I cannot convert, now or ever, though I believe in my heart as you do."

"Then, do you believe I can heal you?" John asked.

"Yes, Peter healed many on the day he came to speak to Cornelius. Your cousin would have given you that ability, also."

"Can you remove your braces and walk to the table?" John asked.

Without hesitation, Bolt untied the glove-like brace around his right hand as Marcus, sitting next to him, worked the laces over Bolt's left boot. Bolt stood as a strength he had never felt before flooded through him. He put weight on the left foot, then stepped forward on it. Cornelius was seated at the corner of the tablinum. Bolt stepped toward him and Micah, reached a cup off the table with his right hand, and gave it to Matthew.

"The scars and some stiffness will remain, but you are healed in Jesus' name," John said.

Victoria burst into tears as Flavius held her close. Bolt came to John and embraced him.

"Thank you!" he said.

"Will all of you be staying for supper?" Cornelius asked.

"We'd love to, but Lucius, Bolt, and I leave first thing in the morning to Emessa to pick up Eleni and the children," Marcus said. "And it's an overland trip. We'll say goodnight."

"Victory and I can stay," Flavius said.

The group followed the three officers outside, pausing to say goodbye to Julia, Decia, and Old Melita. Bolt put a lead on Victoria's mare.

"We'll get her home," he said and vaulted aboard Gerzil with no help.

He followed his uncles back toward the Messalas' domus, counting so many blessings.

"Has anyone heard from Artos or Beaky?" Lucius asked.

"Beaky says he and Domitius are in the Senate now, along with Artorius and Artorianus Bricius, and they all hate it," Bolt replied.

"Hear, hear!" Marcus said.

"Artos and Antylla are preparing to move to Lugdunum, and Claudius is serious about going into Britannia."

"He'll have help," Lucius said. "One of the Iceni is now King. Prasto or something?"

"He is now Prasutagus," Bolt said. "Fortuna wrote to Victoria. She and Urus are in Ancyra with Urusillus, so they aren't that far away. Two more betrothals are in the works, Metellus with Aduna, and Marcellus to Issa in time."

"And Young Aeneas is now First Rank," Lucius said.

"Damn!" Marcus said. "His grandfather is a happy man from beyond."

They arrived at Messalas' and Decius greeted them with Eli. He took Marcus aside and handed him a box. Marcus recognized it as one Keziah always kept on her dressing table. He opened it and lifted out a shell cameo of Keziah that he had commissioned from Billius.

"Are you sure you don't want to keep this?" he asked Eli.

"I had a replica made," Eli said. "So you can have the original. She loved you. She died with all three of her Roman men in her heart."

Marcus put the cameo away. Mark Antony had known the love of two extraordinary women, Fulvia and Cleopatra. Marcus had had Tryphaena and Keziah. Lightening did strike in the same place twice. He reclined at the table as Decius gave a blessing. Decius began passing the food as Marcus went down the family roster in his mind. The Empire was brimming with gens Antonii. No one could drive Mark Antony or his descendants out of the pages of history, though he had no doubt others would try.

"An asarius for your thoughts?" Liucius said.

"On to the next campaign," Marcus said. "Antonys keep on moving, keep on fighting."

"They do, indeed," Lucius said.