Chapter 19: 23 AD, Syria and Rome

Victoria kissed four-month-old Prince Ptolemy Marcus Antonius as he slept in Tryphaena's arms. She clasped Fortuna and Eleni next. Both were pregnant and would be without the support of their husbands at an inopportune time, but it could not be helped. Spring weather had brought Parthia down full force on Armenia, and her uncle Artaxis could only hold them off so long. Juba had left already, days before, with Bolt, who had been allowed to enlist early and was attached as a Tribune Angusticlavis or officer cadet on Juba's staff. He was too young by three years for the formal appointment, but held the rank on a provisional basis, pending review of his performance. He and Juba were speeding toward the Armenia-Parthia border to stem what would be one of Parthia's largest onslaughts into the Eastern Frontier.

Lucius and Marius Gallinus were also preparing to leave, to join up with heavy cavalry units from Commagene, Thrace, Cappadocia, and Pontus. Gallinus kissed his wife and walked with Victoria toward her riding mount, Neptune. He boosted her into the saddle and mounted his own horse, both taking their places behind Lucius in the column of riders. The success of this expedition required close cooperation with an unwieldy collection of allies. Much of that cohesion would rest with Victoria. She looked to her father and waved.

"We'll catch up in a day or two," Marcus called out.

Ten legions and eight auxillia units formed the bulk of the army. The Emperor was authorizing over a third of his military to maintain Armenia as a buffer between Rome and Parthia, and to keep the two large empires from colliding. Lucius glanced back at Victoria and motioned her to come up beside him.

"You're a translator, an observer and representative, not a staff officer," he said. "Your place is beside me until I say otherwise."

He let out a whistle and the buccinas sounded the call to move out. Victoria looked toward the families of the vicus. Old Verus stood between Julia, holding Young Publius, and Decia, holding baby Mileta. Longinus' and Crispinus' wives were pregnant. Crispinus' two girls from a prior relationship clasped hands with their stepmother. They would have their own farewells in the coming days, but the extended Verus family was saying goodbye to one of their own now. Julius Verus remained as Victoria's guardsman and rode with her in the column. With Bolt enlisted, Cornelius had returned to Cohors II at his own request. He was with some other senior Centurions and Victoria waved to him as she passed.

As he led the column out of Antioch, Lucius glanced at Victoria, who had the weight of the world on her thin, young shoulders. Antonia of Pontus had designated her granddaughter as her official representative. Tryphaena's sisters, Queens of Thrace and Cappadocia, had done likewise, as had Ptolemy and Juba. The translating, reporting, and networking would be a fulltime job.

"An asarius for your thoughts," Lucius said.

"I just hope we don't have any medical emergencies," she said.

"Oh, we will," Lucius said. "Put that on your list of things to do. You're cook and commissary, as well."

Lucius was a hard driver and spared no one. He had trained Victoria and Bolt for years and expected to see the fruits of that training. Victoria watched him as they rode, determined to show him and Juba what she could do.

....

Julius Antonius picked up Old Marcus' letter.

...Fortuna is safely delivered of a baby boy, named for his father, and Eleni continues to rest after the birth of her son, the fifth generation Marcus Antonius. I have lived to see three great-grandchildren. I am 78 and expect to wake up on the other side any day and tell Father all the news but I guess the Fates are not through with me yet. With the army gone, this town is dead, the house is quiet, and I sit on my fat ass with nothing to do. Antylla and Diana have no interest in the stories Bolt and Victory begged me for so many times. Tryphaena says we will go out to the country after the girls are up but Eleni had a hard time of it, so we will wait till she recovers...