Chapter 86: 36 AD, Italy, Gaul, Syria, and Judea

Marcus stepped out of his litter and walked with Julius into his home. Domitia met them and kissed Julius on the cheek.

"Lunch is ready," she said.

They settled in at the table as Fortuna joined them. While he ate, Marcus added up the pluses and minuses of life in Rome. He had at least one of his daughters and three grandchildren with him. Julius was like a long-lost brother, and Marcus enjoyed his company. His estate and those of Beaky, Antonia Minor, Claudius, and Lepidus joined, so there was room to ride and fish. Keziah continued to correspond with him. He was now an unofficial consultant to the Senate on military affairs, and sat on those committees. He even got along with Macro.

But there were drawbacks. Rome was different. Patricians and plebeians mixed in company, but there was a divide, depending on what family one was from and how far back they went. The Antonii were plebeian and always would be, despite their links to several patrician families. There was another distinction, between people born on the boot of Italia, and those from the provinces. There were so many rules about whom one received at parties, spoke to, or even acknowledged in public. These social divides made everyone vigilant about keeping up appearances and living within one's means and station. Sometimes, the lengths people went to to prove their social creds were absurd.

In Antioch, Marcus almost never used a litter to get around, though he was entitled to one. He walked or occasionally rode horseback wherever he needed to go. He ate at the taberna, and his aquaintances ranged from City officials to veterans like Gnaeus Florus, senior enlisted like Old Aulus Ruffio, the silversmith Bilius, his banker Tertius, and others. He received members of Syria's leading families at banquets, and neighbors from the vicus at block parties. In Rome, by contrast, Senators traveled in enclosed litters with lictors and bodyguards. They mixed socially only with Senators or others of equal rank, and snubbed anyone else. His bodyservant ran errands and a steward handled all deals with tradesmen, accountants, and bankers. He was one of 600 fish in a very exclusive pond.

He finished lunch and went to his sitting room to work. Parthia was pacified for the time being. They had agreed to a Roman governor along with a Parthian king to rule the country jointly. Blandus and Julia Livia were on their way to Artaxata to hold up the Roman side. Crispus Aetius kept the Germanic leaders at bay by strengthening the outposts along the Limes. Urracca's brother was now king of the Vascones and had shown interest in a trade agreement with Rome.

That left Gaul. Appius was dying of the same stomach cancer that had killed his father and brother, and had retired from the Army. Vinicius was Legate of III, which had now transferred to Alesia. Bran commanded II Matrona and five other Celtic, Belgic, Aquitani, and Celtiberian cavalry units. Artos was now Prefectus Ala of II, with Anerin as overall Prefectus Equitum. Both Anerin and Bran had worked with Juba and Lucius, so their units were top-notch. Old Honorus and a civillian administrator, a veteran named Tanus, headed the factories around Gergovia. Antylla was turning the combined Bricius-Appius estates into a horse and livestock depot. Central Gaul was booming.

And Artos was in the middle of all of it. With Appius fading, he had transferred kingship of the Arverni and Aedui to his nephew. Others had also come around, seeing the wisdom of having one person dealing with Rome. Marcus remembered the gawky, tongue-tied boy he had met so many years ago, and the young prince who had stood before the board of inquiry during the fiasco with Aemilia. He was now a formidable leader doing what his great-grandfather had wanted to, only in cooperation with Rome. A courier handed Marcus a tablet sealed with a bear's paw. Artos had written.

...My uncle passed late last night. Aunt is heartbroken, as am I. Antylla is a help to her, as are Scota, Berissa, and Beuta. Anerin and Lorus are with me. Thankfully, Uncle had transferred command and the kingships, so the transition is seamless. I inherit his estate in its entirety. I expect no trouble here...