Chapter 40: 26 AD, Alexandria and Antioch

Gaius put his arm around Sejana as they stood on the deck of the ship sailing into Alexandria harbor. This was one city he had hoped never to visit as it was the place his Grandfather's life and career had gone so disastrously wrong. Through Layla, Lucius confirmed some details of Antony's final years. Cleopatra had used perfumes to seduce both Julius Caesar and Mark Antony. She had also introduced both men to hashish and opium. Caesar disliked how the drugs made him feel and refused them. Already prone to addiction, Antony lost control of himself entirely in a whirlpool of sex, drink, food, gambling, luxury, and ultimately drugs. Gaius shuddered.

"What was that?" Sejana asked. "Please tell me no premonitions."

"I'm so glad Juba isn't letting himself go and keeping a rein on Marcus and Lucius," Gaius said.

"You and me both," she said.

The ship dropped anchor and the sailors began laying the gangplank. Sejana called the servants to pick up what they could carry. Gaius saw two soldiers standing on the dock and whistled, catching their attention. He took Antylla's hand and led her and Sejana off the ship with Beaky and Lepida, holding their Marcus Primus, following. The soldiers, two older cavalrymen, approached him.

"Are you Legate Gaius and Tribune Julius Antonius?" one asked.

"Yes," Gaius responded for them both.

"I'm Decurion Licinius," the older man said. "Marcus Antonius asked me to escort you to the house, then take you over to the castrum."

"Thank you," Gaius said.

The men helped him find porters for the baggage and led the way into town. Dockyards were always rough places with plenty of taverns, gambling dens, and bordellos, but Alexandria's tenderloin district went on for several blocks.

"No wonder Great-Grandfather lost his damn mind," Beaky said.

"Bolt and I tried hashish at a ceremony in Emessa the night after his wedding," Gaius said. "I got sick, couldn't stop puking. He went to sleep that night and woke with a screaming nightmare. I'll never touch that crap again and I doubt he will."

They finally reached the house, not far from the Library and University. Eleni saw them coming and opened the door as Epona, Marcellus, and Prince Ptolemy swarmed around them.

"Saba!" Marcellus cried out and threw his arms up to Gaius.

Gaius picked him up as Sejana hunkered down to Fadia, who was clinging to her mother's skirts. Fadia regarded her with Bolt's large, dark eyes.

"It's Grandmother, Dear," Sejana said.

Fadia looked her over but was not inclined to warm up. Eleni bent down to pick up Fadia, but she squirmed away.

"No!" she cried out.

Sejana backed off.

"Let her come in her own time."

"I think there's two more," Gaius said.

Eleni led them to the nursery, where Glaecerys and Gaia lay in their cradle.

"I can't believe our Marcus has four," Gaius said.

"He wants another boy," Eleni said.

"At some point you need to kick him out of your bed," Sejana said. "He'll just keep on doing it to you."

Eleni laughed.

"You missed Victory and Layla. You'll love Layla. I think Lucius has met his match."

"Finally," Gaius said. "Anyway, we'd better get over there."