Chapter 36: 25 AD, Rome, Antioch, and Alexandria

Sejanus perused more correspondence from the extended Antony family, wondering again why the Emperor was so interested in the minute details of their lives. Claudius was divorced and the murder charges against Uganilla dropped. No prospects for a second wife. Julius' son was now a Tribune under Marcus and Gaius in Antioch. Charon had died of colic. Princess Eleni was safely delivered of twin girls. The typhus outbreak in Alexandria fizzled. Young Marcus was mending. The merry chase of life in the vici of both towns continued.

"At least Juba is knuckling down on an invasion force," Quintus Macro said.

Sejanus looked again at Juba's reports. The epidemic had hit the three Legions hardest and though most men recovered, several had died. Juba used the sickness as a means to weed through the officer corps of the Legions, pensioning off or transferring dead weight. Publius Canidius was now Legate of XVI. Lucius Vorenus commanded III, and Tullus Bassus was in charge of IV. Juba was recreating his Great-Grandfather's cadre of lieutenants. General Marcus had done likewise in Antioch, in spite of Tiberius' attempts to block it. In addition to Young Julius Antonius, who went by the nickname Beccus or Beaky, and Messala, Marcus had rid himself of Gabinius, who was now in X. Junius Poplicola had replaced him. Young Polcher and Curio, now that Bolt and Gabinius were elsewhere, had thrown in their lot with the Antonys.

"Marcus and Gaius wouldn't try anything stupid," Macro said.

"Juba might," Sejanus said.

....

Lucius hurried through the rainy streets of Alexandria toward the home of Layla, Victoria's gynecology instructor and now her chosen midwife. She came to her door, guessed his errand, and wrapped a shawl around herself. In the months since his arrival, he had walked her home after class more than once and she found she preferred his company to Young Marcus or Juba. He had spent several years in Athens, a place she longed to visit, and his stories of his time there fascinated her.

"You can take my arm," he said. "The pavement is slick."

She wound her arm through his, feeling his strength. She had never sensed that in a man before and found it appealing in a way.

"How is Victoria doing?" she asked.

"She doesn't think the baby is in the right place," he said.

"I saw her yesterday and I didn't think she was ready," Layla said.

"Antonys don't do what's expected, that's too dull and boring," he said.

"I've seen more of that," she said.

They came to the house and Layla went to Victoria's room. Victoria sat on her bed, probing her stomach with practiced hands.

"I think he might breech," she said.

Layla ran her hands over Victoria's stomach.

"He's high up and transverse," Layla said. "I can turn him, but he may be breech and dry."

Victoria steeled herself as Layla prodded her stomach and slowly turned the baby downward toward the birth canal. She helped Victoria to the birthing stool.

"Now, you know what to do from here," she said.

...

Flavius Messala bid the Antony family good afternoon and went to his room. He had letters from his father and both of his brothers. He opened his father's letter first.

....Son, I do not know what to say about this. Your mother and I have worked our leads, but you have always been our hard-luck child. You are twenty-one now and I could emancipate you to make your own decision. I agree with you that the Cornelii are patrician and, if this woman is a widow, you could forego a dowry. I would say approach her brother and see what he says. But we both know Severus will throw a fit...