Chapter 70: 31 AD, Capri, Mauretania, Caesarea, and Antioch

Tiberius picked through copies of letters, reports, and memos, chuckling at Pilate's tantrums in Caesarea. It always amazed him that the more power and prestige a man had, the more childish he became. Other men, though, were standing up to their responsibilities. Artos had written to his uncle in Gaul.

....Antylla and I are ready, after our wedding, to come there at once. I always knew this day would happen, and here it is. So be it...

Tiberius pondered what role he wished Quintus Appius to take in Gaul. With the Ovation in Mauretania, he was acknowledging Ptolemy's status as a quasi-independent king. Gallia Celtica was an Imperial province, and Tiberius was King of the Gauls as much as he was Pharaoh of Egypt. Still, both Quintus Appius and Castillus Bricius held the hearts and minds of their people. Tiberius could grant Appius similar honors as Ptolemy while keeping real power. Appius was already reaching out to contacts in Gaul. The Arvernii, all factions of the Aeduii, the Parisii, Sequannii, and many others were aclaiming him and Artos. Appius decided it was time Artos had a formal warrior's name. Iolare was the Gaulish word for eagle, and the -rix suffix meant a king, prince, chief, leader. Iolarix meant Eagle Prince. Artos wrote his father.

...I have my name now, but I am still just me. Artos, Junior, Varmint, or Damn You Boy, whenever I screw up....

Tiberius was not one for cheekyness, which Bolt and Damn You Boy possessed in abundance. But, the Bricius-Appius pack were not the only ones up in the air. The Messalas in Rome and Caesarea were pissed at Pilate's comments about Flavius and Victoria. Old Severus wrote to his brother Flavius, Sr.

...I offered again to get him a transfer, but he wants to stay with Bolt and Aetius, and is looking forward to Valerillus coming out here..

Young Valerius was now in Caesarea and Pilate lumped him in with the rest of his officers in a shrill letter to Sejanus.

...None of them are worth an asarius. The Carrion of Antioch is already preening his new feathers, writing to everyone here like he owns the place. And why do I need another Judean?....

Tiberius wrote a letter to Pilate to explain the obvious.

...Legatus Marcus Antoniuus has the same standing and authority as a legionary legate. He has full Imperial powers, and is your deputy governor. I am limiting his lictors to two, in addition to the one for Augusta Victoria, who may I remind you, is a member of my family and of at least four other royal families. She does happen to be married to a Judean who has proved his ability. Valerius is Latin on all sides of his family and is not Judean. You will be more discreet in your comments about all of them. You will not have to worry about Marcus for a bit. I am granting him leave to retrieve Princess Eleni, to visit Gaius, as he is dying, and to observe his sister's marriage. I am also allowing Appius to depart for Gaul immediately. I am sure you can manage....

....

Artos opened the box with the wreath. He knew of Bolt's reluctance to wear it, but it was beautiful. He lifted it to the light, checking for any tarnish. There was none.

"Billius would die to see this," Artos said.

"He's cleaned it before and tightened some of the leaves for me," Bolt said.

Artos settled the wreath on Bolt's head, then fastened and arranged his cloak. All the other officers were ready and followed Lucius to the main courtyard of the palace to depart for the parade staging area. A court usher led Artos to wait for Queen Urania and Princess Victoria. He would escort them to the royal dais. As he stood with the two women, another usher approached him.

"Prince, His Excellency asked me to convey a special request. He wishes you to perform your dance at the banquet tonight."

Queen Urania gasped and ticked her tongue. Princes were not banquet entertainers. Only her husband, in some odd Antony mood, would have dared ask it. Artos smiled at the usher.