Chapter 82: 34 AD, Antioch, Gergovia, Judea

Centurion Aulus Rufio, Jr., found a seat at the taberna and settled in for a long night. His protectees were Layla and now thirteen-year-old Epona. The garrison was twice the size it had been a few years ago. In addition to XII and VI, there were now four auxilliary units of cavalry, two Galatian, and two from Hispania, and more support units such as sappers and engineers. The vicus had likewise expanded by several more insulae, or apartment blocks. A number of thermopolia, or snackbars did a thriving business in addition to the sutlers shops. Births and family ailments like colds, broken arms, and fevers never stopped.

Layla had opened a community clinic in one of Old Verus' buildings. It was also a dispensary. Vinicia and Melita were still active midwives, as were Melita's daughters Aula and Julilla, and Vinicia's daughters Decilla and Spuria, and Camalus' daughter Nyssa. Rufio's own daughter Rufilla, Gnaeus Florus' granddaughter Flavilla, and Meridius' granddaughter Marilla, were apprenticing, and now so was Epona. She came toward him, two capsae slung over her shoulder. Three worried-looking men were with her.

"I have to get these to Mother and Nyssa and find somebody for three more babies," she said.

Decilla and Aula came to the taberna and saw her problem. They took two of the men aside.

"Julilla is just finishing up in Meridius' building," Aula said.

Rufio followed Epona as she dropped the supplies to Layla and Nyssa, and found Julilla. Another father crossed her path. A burly Galatian cavalryman, he was at his wits' end.

"My woman thinks she's got twins," he said.

"Let me get you to Nyssa," Epona said. "She might be through in Burrus' building."

Rufio and the Galatian trailed her to that insula, and ran into Nyssa. She took over the cavalryman, who was right to be worried, and another man approached Epona.

"My woman's in pain and blood everywhere," he said.

"I'll find someone," she said.

She placed that worried father with Melita, and dispatched another to Vinicia. Rufilla called down from a window.

"More towels, and we need pain and cough remedies," she said.

Epona went back to the clinic, unlocked it, stocked a basket with towels, found the herb jars, and turned to Rufio.

"We're going to be at this all night," she said.

"Young Verus comes on at midnight," he said. "We got you."

She dropped off the supplies, and made the rounds, picking up dirty towels, empty jars and capsae, and two more panicked men facing impending births. She made Layla and Melita aware and left the men at the taberna. Spuria took one case while the other man waited. As Epona offloaded and restocked at the clinic, Decilla approached that man and dispatched another to Vinicia. Rufio found the only available seat, across from Vorenus. He had been watching Epona as Young Verus came on shift.

"She keeps the whole damn thing running," Vorenus said.

"She's Lucius' daughter," Rufio said.

"I haven't seen the obnoxious side yet," Vorenus said.

"Oh, it's there," Young Verus said. "Just try flirting with her or getting snotty. She's actually worse than Lucius, if that's possible."

Rufio left and Aulus settled in. As Epona made her way through the crowded seating area of the taberna, a drunk patron groped her. He was not a soldier, likely just someone passing through. Quick as a wink, she reared back to slap his face. Vorenus and Young Aulus stood, along with several other veterans and serving soldiers.