Chapter 58: 29 AD, Caesarea, Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome, and Capri

Queen Phaesilla looked around at her most loyal friends. Drusilla and Judith bar Simon she had known throughout her time in Judea. The Messala girls, along with David bar Simon's three daughters, had been among her ladies in waiting. Mariamne Messalina, the youngest at sixteen, was sobbing openly. Phaesilla hugged her, trying to think of something comforting to say. Mariamne was betrothed to a son of Antipas' steward, Chuza, whose wife, Joanna, was another dear friend.

"Forget about me," Phaesilla told the weeping girl. "Get on with your life and pray your man is good to you."

Drusilla took charge of her daughter as Phaesilla faced Eleni next.

"I wish I could say I was coming back but we all know I'm not," she said.

Eleni fought back tears and offered a hug. With Herodias now living full-time in Caesarea, Phaesilla had arranged an extended visit to her family in Nabatea. Even Antipas knew she would not return.

"Thank you and Marcus for all your support," she told Eleni as they embraced. "You have a rare gem of a man. Treasure him."

"I already do," Eleni said. "Keep in touch."

"I will," Phaesilla said and turned to Victoria. "You are an outstanding woman and I wish I had known you longer."

"Likewise, Lady," Victoria said. "Take care."

Phaesilla embraced Claudia. She, too, knew what life with a difficult man was like.

"I'll miss you," Claudia said. "Goodbye and thank you."

Phaesilla climbed into her litter and was born out of the palace courtyard. As her escort trotted away, the women remained where they were, pondering what to do next. A court usher approached Victoria.

"The Queen wishes to see you, Augusta," he said.

Victoria had it on the tip of her tongue to tell him that the Queen had just left, but decided on a more professional approach. She turned to Eleni.

"I have cook day on the Roman side this morning, so you can take the litter."

"See you tonight," Eleni said. "Good luck and glad it's not me."

Victoria steeled herself for this first official meeting with the new Queen of Judea. As an Augusta, she was entitled to a lictor and General Marcus had sent Old Rufio's younger brother Atticus. He was yet another ex-Centurion with a sterling record. He had known Victoria in Antioch and was good friends with the Veruses and Crispinuses. He understood the odd hours and nonstop emergencies.

"I'll wait here, Augusta," he said.

Victoria thanked him and followed the usher to Herodias' private apartments. The new Queen reclined on a couch in her sitting room, looking over the most unusual person she had ever met. Victoria was well under five feet and thin. Her tanned skin and work-worn hands gave her a wizened appearance. There was no trace of any youth or beauty. Her belly was swelling with yet another pregnancy. She was the last person anyone would think of as royalty, or a physician. She had the same large, inquisitive brown eyes as her cousin, but was as reserved and quiet-spoken as he was outgoing and talkative. Herodias indicated a chair and Victoria sat, pouring herself a cup of wine.

"I'm sure you can guess why I've sent for you," Herodias said.

"Are you wishing to retain my services?" Victoria said.

Herodias nodded.

"I know you and Phaesilla were close."

"We were," Victoria said. "I believe confidence and trust are a necessary part of the process."