Chapter 31: 24 AD, Antioch

Flavius Messala woke before dawn, trying to figure out anywhere on his body that did not burn, tingle, or itch. He had grown up with bad skin and survived severe chickenpox, always needing ointments for scars, pits, acne, scales, cracks, rashes, and boils that turned into carbuncles. Over the years, his mother had concocted a recipe for ointment that alleviated the discomfort, but she could only send small batches. He had tried to find a local ointment maker, but two declined to help when he specified no lard in the recipe. He needed more and better treatment, but skincare was not a topic men discussed, so he was reluctant to ask around.

He got up and poured water in the basin. Assigned as a cavalryman, he could wear a beard so he trimmed it as neatly as he could and made a mental note to visit a barber for his hair. He washed and dabbed ointment on the worst places, but the three boils on his back were out of his reach. They would need to be lanced. That meant sick call at the infirmary and a run-in with Lysias, Senior or Junior. He had heard of Demetrius, whom everyone missed, but he was traveling with Prince Juba. Messala stepped over to Curio's room.

"Is Victoria any good?" he asked.

"I hate to say it but, since we don't have Demetrius, she would be my next choice," Curio said. "I need something for my stomach. So I may stop in there myself."

Messala thanked him and finished dressing. Sick call was first come, first served, and he could see men lining up as Lysias, Senior, barked at them.

"Why are you here?" he snapped at a younger Decanus.

"I had the runs all night," the man said.

"You drink too damn much," Lysias said.

Messala remembered the first encounter he had with Lysias about his skin.

"You just don't bathe often enough," Lysias snapped. "I thought Jews believed in that."

Messala had excused himself then and tried to ask around for a Jewish physician. Neither Lucius nor Julius Verus had a recommendation, though, other than Demetrius when available or Victoria. He kept putting off the inevitable, but now something had to be done. He decided to go to the morning staff meeting and check back at the clinic later. He crossed paths with Bolt, Gallinus, and Victoria, who were all headed to the praetorium or main office.

"Good morning," Bolt said.

"Good morning," Messala replied. "Good morning, Gallinus."

"Good morning," Gallinus responded.

Curio and Messala both took Victoria aside.

"Can I make an appointment with you?" Messala asked. "It's a sensitive issue."

"It's the usual," Curio said.

"Come to the line after staffing and I'll pull you both," she said.

As they settled in at the table, Aeneas Burrus, acting First Rank in his brother's absence, bent down to her.

"I need to see you," he said. "It's a bit embarrassing."

"Come to the line and I'll pull you out," she said. "Two others are ahead of you."

"Make that four," Polcher said.

Bolt sat down at the table.

"Good morning, Polcher, Curio," he said.

Both men ignored him. He looked toward Gabinius, who refused eye contact by focusing on a tablet in front of him.

"Good morning, Burrus," Bolt said.

"Good morning, Tribune," he said.

"I heard Young Aeneas was ill," Bolt said.

"Vinicia came by this morning," Aeneas said.