Chapter 35: 25 AD, Antioch, Capri, and Alexandria

Luke ben Eliezer, a young physician, entered the double vestibule doors of the Antony family's townhouse. Tenants, business associates, office seekers, and others lined up in front of the grand marble tablinum, waiting their turn to speak to an Antonius, any one would do. He did not recognize the man behind the table. He was tall, like the Antonii, but had straight, dark brown hair and light-colored eyes. A houseman came down the line, collected rents or shares, took some messages, and dismissed those people to thin the crowd. He approached Luke, who gave his name.

"Princess Tryphaena sponsored my medical training. I've returned home and come to pay my regards."

"Wait here," the man said.

He went into the office next to the Tablinum and returned.

"Tribune Gaius wishes to see you," he said.

Luke followed him across the atrium. He had been born in Antioch to a good but not affluent Jewish family. Because of his academic abilities, he was apprenticed to an apothecary, who noted his aptitude for medicine. The family attended one of the synagogues sponsored by Lucius, who secured Tryphaena's patronage for Luke to train in Ephesus. His studies completed, he had returned to his hometown to assess his prospects, which were not good for a young beginner in a town full of known practitioners.

"Master Luke," Gaius said, rising from the desk and extending a hand. "How are you?"

"I am well, My Lord," Luke said. "I was saddened to hear of Princess Tryphaena's passing, but I've come home and wanted to express my gratitude."

"You are very welcome," Gaius said. "I'm glad it worked out for you. Do you have any work lined up?"

"Not at the moment," Luke said. "I'm hoping to associate and later open my own practice."

"May I offer you a lead?" Gaius asked. "We do not have a physician at the castrum. We had a medic for many years, died of a stroke or something last week. His son is a clinician only, and we have two excellent field medics, but no physician."

"I would have to enlist," Luke said.

"No," Gaius said. "We would prefer an enlisted person, true. But there's no requirement. We can contract a physician from the community. That's a plus for you because you could continue to develop your practice while earning a steady income."

Luke pondered.

"I know there's a sensitivity to working with Romans," Gaius said. "You could tell me no, without any hard feelings."

"I will agree to help, but I will continue to look elsewhere," Luke said.

"I'll talk to my brother, but maybe we can make a shorter term contract with an opt out for you."

Luke extended his hand.

"Thank you."

....

Tiberius muttered as he paced the floor of his office. A servant brought him a letter from Sejanus, enclosing one from Juba.

...We were likely a whisker away from mutiny and loss of all three legions in Egypt. The absolute lack of management of our forces is astonishing in so many ways, but given the severity of the Nubian threat, even more so. I echo so many others who have called to normalize our operations here with experienced, professional officers. The two I have at my disposal have worked wonders. Your nephew, Tribune Antonius, does the staff work for all three legions and the men of XVI in particular are showing the effects of a committed staff officer. More than once I have been told that they finally have an Aquila. Marcus Antonius has come back to them...